Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] central sleep apnea because of high Bipap pressure??
central sleep apnea because of high Bipap pressure??
Hi this is my first post.
I was diagnosed mild sleep apnea 12 years ago. Couldnt get accostomed to my cpap so i just lived with it. I did UPP and tonsilectomy in 2015 but the surgery didnt help.
I did my recent polysomnograph on feb 2021. Ive attached the screenshot. AHI was 66.5 with 186 obstructive and 164 hypopneas but only 2 central apneas.

Doctor asked for bipap titration since i mentioned him i have apap already which didnt work. The bipap titration was successful as with pressure of 11/18 the ahi was 0. screenshot is attached. AHI was 17.3 as i couldnt fall asleep most of the night. This time with 17 obstructive and 30 hypopneas and There was only 1 central apnea recorded.

I got by bipap and start treating with it. It was very hard for me from the day 1 i used the bipap. I keep waking at the middle of night with chocking and gasping for air. I thought it would take time to get accoustomed so i kept using the pap with great difficulty but each night obstructive and hypopneas were significantly down but the clear airway(central apnea) was very high so the AHI would fluctuate from 20-55 range for next three week i used bipap until i gave up because it was very very hard on me. I talked to doctor and he immediately asked me to stop as bipap was causing problem instead of helping me. He said he process for ASV for me.
I am crossing my finger that asv will work for me or i have no other option at this point. I am very very tired through out the day and i am mostly in my bed day and night beause of tiredness. I have very hard time sleeping at night. Has anyone gone though similar situiation? What was helpful for you and how are you managing now? your inputs will be very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: central sleep apnea because of high Bipap pressure??
Welcome to the forum

I strongly suspect Treatment-Emergent Central Apnea. Since you are on a BiLevel because APAP didn't work You may not need that much PS. High PS tends to cause Central Apnea.
If you don't mind would you like to try with lower values?

EPAP = 11
IPAP = 14

Try that and post your results.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is the strangest titration study I have ever seen. the minimum PS was 6.0 cm and increased as EPAP pressure was increased.  This runs contrary to any protocol I have ever run across. Surprising you did not display the CA events during this study.  Anyway, please follow Gideon's suggestion. When you post the next chart, please minimize the monthly calendar by clicking the triangle in the date line. Lots of useful data is hidden because of the calendar.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=32182]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow you only had 186 obstructive events on the diagnostic study. Smile
And it appears Blind Squirrel did your titration. Appears to be an idiot.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi
the VAuto-mode is not very beneficial for treating CAs. You should switch to S-mode and choose a backup rate of 10.

With best regards
Frank
Post Reply Post Reply
Possibly S or VAuto mode will Avoid CA. Neither will treat the CA. Given low CA on both diagnostic and dopey excuse of titration, and high at home CA, we're dealing with treatment emergent. As was given by Gideon, settings need edited to reduce the too efficient flushing of CO2. And the doc doesn't have the evidence to script an ASV and get insurance to approve coverage payment. Trust me, it's not likely to go through.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will try it and post as soon as i hear back from doctor in couple days. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll add, it's not the mode, it's the settings used with the mode.
Rest assured, should the charts so indicate, I'll tighten up on the settings to reflect the new data, possibly to the equivalent of a CPAP machine (IF needed).
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2021, 08:55 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: That is the strangest titration study I have ever seen. the minimum PS was 6.0 cm and increased as EPAP pressure was increased.  This runs contrary to any protocol I have ever run across. Surprising you did not display the CA events during this study.  Anyway, please follow Gideon's suggestion. When you post the next chart, please minimize the monthly calendar by clicking the triangle in the date line. Lots of useful data is hidden because of the calendar.

Hello sleeprider,
what are the protocol for the pressure support if i may ask? Couple fellow commenters also think the bad titration specially (bad?) PS might have provoked central apnea.
How do they find out the best pressure support for patients? trial and error only way to find out or is there a science behind it. 

Also gideon suggested the pressure support of 3 EPAP = 11 IPAP = 14. With my old apap machine i had use to set the pressure around the range (EPAP = 9 IPAP = 12) with pressure support of 3 as my old apap machine had that option. It worked a little bit to bring AHI down but wasn't substantial. my sleep apnea was mild anyways, but i just felt like i was choking and suffocating so i stopped the therapy.

If only i know what the best PS support for me is then i could test and try different pressure setting with my bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2021, 08:53 AM)Gideon Wrote: I'll add, it's not the mode, it's the settings used with the mode.
Rest assured, should the charts so indicate, I'll tighten up on the settings to reflect the new data, possibly to the equivalent of a CPAP machine (IF needed).

I do not understand this Gideon. can you please simplify.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 556 39 minutes ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 950 8 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,516 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.