Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] tinnitus and ears problems with CPAP, need help
RE: tinnitus and ears problems with CPAP, need help
Yes my ears pop and crackles a lot, it is very unpleasant.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do they do so during the day too, or only during PAP? If this is a persistent issue, you may need to see an ENT, especially if you're prone to middle ear infections etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes unhappilly it's constant
Post Reply Post Reply
That's no fun. Have your doctors said anything about fluid in your middle ear (behind your eardrum) or glue ear? Do you get a lot of ear infections? Compacted ear wax can also cause some crackling and popping, so I'd definitely recommend getting your ears looked at again to see if you have any problems with ear wax/skin build-up or fluid in your middle ear that might be helped in various ways. Sometimes holding your nose while swallowing can force them to clear but it doesn't often work for me because my eustachian tubes don't like to play ball.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd like to voice some dissent for the idea that crackling and popping ears throughout the day means a trip to the ENT is necessary.

With CPAP, I was having constant ear symptoms like you mentioned: feeling of bubbles in the ears, frequent ear popping, pain in ears, & clicking in the ear.

By experimentation, I realized that the EPR was agitating my ears. I think the pressure changes, with every single breath, was just too much for my ears. Since I switched my EPR to off, I've had no such troubles. My ear issues have *completely resolved* since shutting off the exhale support. Keeping the pressure the same for both inhale and exhale has eliminated the ear pain, clicks, and pops.

BUT before I found the solution, I did chat with an ENT (who I met socially) about it. I told him about my CPAP use, and that I didn't experience this until I'd gotten on a CPAP. His suggestion was surgery... although he admitted he'd never heard of ear pain from CPAP. Thank goodness I tried various settings on my machine, before going down a more invasive route.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would agree if this was just some temporary discomfort. But if it's consistent, lasting all day, it's hardly a bad idea to check for wax or fluid in the middle ear. You can visit an audiologist if you don't want to see an EMT, they're probably even better at letting you know if you have compacted ear wax or middle ear effusion that needs treating. It could absolutely be just down to the changes in pressure. But if it's a longstanding problem, then it seems sensible to rule out other issues, too. I am kind of horrified that any EMT would suggest doing surgery if there's no underlying pathology, though, before checking things like therapy changes and decongestants, for example... that would be overkill, for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all answer, tomorrow I'll visit an audiologist indeed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,000 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 167 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,837 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,562 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 995 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.