Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with New Resmed Airsense 10
Problem with New Resmed Airsense 10
Hi everyone, 

I just bought a brandnew airsense 10 for her, and when I tried it straight out of the box the cpap was pumping air.. especially on exhale. It was so much that I thought, ok this device is broken. After trying all the settings and using it for 10 minutes, it started becoming more normal. 

After maybe an hour, it seemed like it could be used but still not super comfortable. Unnatural feeling, not like my previous cpaps. And by this time I don't trust it anymore. So I checked the pressure graph on sleepyhead (attached). The mask pressure graph has tiny disturbances, especially during the exhale portion. 

Can anyone confirm what I'm seeing isn't right ? I should probably exchange the device for a new one, correct ? Or is it possible that I need to 'break in' the device ? 

Thanks anyone for any advice on this!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problem with New Resmed Airsense 10
I'm not sure what you mean by "pumping air". What are your pressure and EPR settings? If you have EPR on the pressure will drop when you exhale and increase when you inhale. That is a comfort feature. My flow rate and mask pressure readings look very much like yours. It would be helpful to see a daily sleepyhead chart organized as shown in the link below. More data will help us understand your issue. I think machine pressure rather than mask pressure may be more helpful.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Melman, I don't have more graphs as I just bought the device and need to return it if what I'm experiencing is not normal.

The graph to you looks normal though ? The little spikes ? This is me trying to breathe normally while awake, and typically this graph is smooth(er). 

I also hear the fan's small, constant changes in speed, it's like it's constantly varying the pressure. 

Yes, I have EPR on, and it drops the pressure. But the pressure should stay the same throughout the inhale and exhale parts of the cycle, not have these small variations that feel abnormal ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I just put on my mask, turned on my machine, and listened closely to the machine as I inhaled and exhaled. Upon inhaling the blower speeds up and during exhale it slows down. I also notice and increase in pressure as I inhale, and a decrease as I exhale. My EPR setting is 3 and what I am observing is exactly what
i expect for normal operation. I also see the same mask pressure spikes on my graph that you see on yours. The mask pressure begins to increase with the start of inhale, peaks near the end of inhale, and decreases during exhale.  From what you have described it appears that your machine is working as it should.  
I have had this machine for almost two years and it has worked well for me.

It may be a good idea to have your supplier check the machine if you are uncomfortable with it.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The fan changing speed is normal. It increases and decreases as you breath in and out. Also your chart looks normal for someone who's awake. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the machine. If you post a chart using sleepyhead and follow the directions on how to post on the links below someone will help you get set up.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the hose setting correct ? If you don’t have the heated hose make sure the hose is set to slimline as these machines ship with a slimline hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Melman, Walla Walla and Jas. True, the fan speeds up and down with EPR, but I mean there are these smaller changes during exhalation and inhalation that shouldn't be there, imo. If you look at the graph carefully, it's not the up and down (the wave) I'm worried about because that is just the normal EPR function. I'm worried about the the small / even tiny pressure changes you see in the graph there. The graphs aren't smooth, you see ? Are you sure your graphs looks similar ? 

And I hear the fan speed up and down, that's normal, but then during the exhalation the fan speeds up and down too, by tiny amoutns, and it's like I'm exhaling against small disturbances of pressure. It's very uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's normal for your breathing to look ragged while your awake. Do you have any charts from sleeping? It would really help if you were to post a Daily Sleepyhead chart with charts and stats described in the link below. Otherwise it's all guessing on what could be going on.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see anything to worry about if you are awake.
I don't think there is any fault in the machine, just needs to settle in and I think after you are asleep you will get smoother graphs.
Also the "For Her" machine has a gentler mode until you get up in pressure a bit, so it will look different anyway.  Everything will be fine after you use it for a while and get used to it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Late to the party, sorry.  You are right, this is an abnormal flow, but it is not the machine, it is you.

This flow rate is showing some flow limitation (see the flat tops). The scaling is too large try 70 to -70.  I would want to see this is context before suggesting a correction.

And yes, from what this shows the machine is acting correctly.
Please note the Sleepyhead links in my signature and organize your charts as indicated and finally attach them.  It always helps to see detail charts in context.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 80 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,460 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 138 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,999 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 136 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,959 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,162 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.