Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with mask and EPR
RE: Problem with mask and EPR
(02-19-2020, 02:16 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Is it the pressure changes (up & down ballooning) that you're not liking?  Or is it causing leaking?

I experience the ballooning, and dislike it greatly. But when I'm asleep, I don't think I notice it.

My bigger problems is maintaining the seal, especially in the early morning hours. I had to get away from silicone, and switch to memory foam (F20), and that maintains the seal for me.

(As far as your other stuff, I'm afraid I can't help. I had to turn off EPR because it causes me ear problems.)

Ahh, thank you. This is the exact kind of reply I was hoping for. Yes, it's the ballooning that's disturbing. I'm kind of glad to see that it's not just happening and disturbing to me (though by that I don't mean that I'm happy it's happening to anyone). So, from the sound of it, the solution is to just learn to get used to it enough to fall asleep, and then hope that it doesn't disturb during sleep. Ultimately, as bonjour pointed out, it might just be a matter of getting used to it. Which is what I'm trying to do at this point. 

I'm trying to restart therapy again, and when I do, I mask up during naps and rests, to get my body used to the foreign sensations again. Takes a few days to a week, so just getting back to forcing myself to do that much, slowly working my way back to using it at bedtime. 

Interestingly, regarding this ballooning issue, I just did another practice session, and I was able to have a few breaths where the ballooning didn't happen, or was minimal. I tried to repeat those breaths, but it's hard, because it's so subtle. I also think that the harder of a breath I take, the machine kicks it up quickly, which is disturbing. I think a smaller, smoother breath sometimes helped. But I need to keep experimenting with it. My hope is that between that, and just getting more used to it, I'll be able to eventually fall asleep with it again. It might just take some time.

As to the EPR... given that I have flow limitations, I need to start experimenting more with higher pressures (above 10), and breathing out against pressures above 8 feels a bit suffocating so far. I've read so many things... that EPR is bad/dangerous, but then people with BiPAP use large differentials. It's kind of hard to figure out. I wish I had straightforward apnea that responded to low pressure (7, for example), because IPAP 7 and EPAP 6 were really easy for me to get used to. [Sigh] 

To those who use BiPAP, I'm curious: are you not concerned about the possible "dangers" (if that's the right word) having such a widely different IPAP and EPAP (above 3)? And also, do the settings on a VAUTO allow one to tweak the transition between inhale and exhale, to kind of smooth out that transition? Sometimes it feels rather abrupt on my Airsense, though, again, not all the time. I'm still in the early stages of experimenting with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use a FFM (AirFit F20) with EPR 3. I've never noticed what you described but I just put it on an started the machine. I experienced what you describe but I don't find it uncomfortable or disruptive. It may just be a matter of getting accustomed to it. Hopefully you can.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2020, 04:40 PM)Melman Wrote: I also use a FFM (AirFit F20) with EPR 3. I've never noticed what you described but I just put it on an started the machine. I experienced what you describe but I don't find it uncomfortable or disruptive. It may just be a matter of getting accustomed to it. Hopefully you can.

Wait, I'm confused... you said you never noticed what I described, but then in the next sentence you say that you experienced what I describe. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, which is it?

Also, I'm curious, is your cushion the silicone, or foam?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2020, 04:38 PM)jomama Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 02:16 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Is it the pressure changes (up & down ballooning) that you're not liking?  Or is it causing leaking?

I experience the ballooning, and dislike it greatly. But when I'm asleep, I don't think I notice it.

My bigger problems is maintaining the seal, especially in the early morning hours. I had to get away from silicone, and switch to memory foam (F20), and that maintains the seal for me.

(As far as your other stuff, I'm afraid I can't help. I had to turn off EPR because it causes me ear problems.)

Ahh, thank you. This is the exact kind of reply I was hoping for. Yes, it's the ballooning that's disturbing. I'm kind of glad to see that it's not just happening and disturbing to me (though by that I don't mean that I'm happy it's happening to anyone). So, from the sound of it, the solution is to just learn to get used to it enough to fall asleep, and then hope that it doesn't disturb during sleep. Ultimately, as bonjour pointed out, it might just be a matter of getting used to it. Which is what I'm trying to do at this point. 

I am with you on not liking the sensation. I'm a pretty sensitive person, so feelings like this (as well as noises and such) are difficult for me. Fortunately, EPR hasn't been an important thing to include in my treatment, so I just leave it off.

Since you're trying to get used to All.Things.CPAP, could you turn down the EPR for now, so the ballooning isn't so bothersome; then turn it up once you're feeling more adjusted to the therapy?

(I have no medical advice here.  I only have my simplistic experience to go off of.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jomama.

Can you post a recent OSCAR chart.  I'm curious about your wave forms.  I have been having a horrid time getting control of my Flow Limitations + other issues, including leaks.  I am now on my third machine in 3 months.  CPAP>BIPAP>iVAPS.  With help from Sleeprider and now Geer1, hope to wrestle this thing to the ground soon.

So far the best thing is my foam mask.  But now my head gear situation is all messed up.  Oh-jeez

Regards,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used my Simplus mask up to 18cmw and 3 cm EPR and didnt notice ballooning. I have had to take off the EPR because it was aggravating my lung problems.

So far , after a weeks  use, the Vitera is more comfortable than the Simplus mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2020, 02:16 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Since you're trying to get used to All.Things.CPAP, could you turn down the EPR for now, so the ballooning isn't so bothersome; then turn it up once you're feeling more adjusted to the therapy?

I've done ok on EPR 2 in the past, but since I'm trying to knock down flow limitations, I need to try EPR 3, especially if it ends up making sense to get a BiPAP (which I'd rather not do, because I don't like the idea of spending $800 to simply TRY bipap...all out of pocket for me...). So, right now, I'm trying to acclimate myself with about 30 min a day at EPR 3, to try to get used to it. But I appreciate the idea. 

At this point, I think I'll try to get used to EPR 3, try to sleep with it, and hopefully get enough nights to then lower to EPR 2, to see chart differences. That's the plan anyway.

Thanks for your input!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2020, 07:44 PM)Plmnb Wrote: Hi jomama.

Can you post a recent OSCAR chart.  I'm curious about your wave forms.  I have been having a horrid time getting control of my Flow Limitations + other issues, including leaks.  I am now on my third machine in 3 months.  CPAP>BIPAP>iVAPS.  With help from Sleeprider and now Geer1, hope to wrestle this thing to the ground soon.

Keep in mind that my home sleep test showed zero centrals, AHI 3, RDI 6.

[sorry for the fuzziness of the screen shots. I don't know how to avoid that. Using a Mac, the regular screen shot keys, and decreased the size in Preview to around 200 MB, so as to save my allotted space.]
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: I just did another small test, at 8, EPR 3, and it went better. When I take small/normal, easy, more shallow breaths, the ballooning is much less of a problem, sometimes I didn't even feel it. I think that when I started again, I was breathing too heavily, kind of "panic breathing," like my body was kind of panicking at the pressure, so I was breathing deeper, trying to get more air. But as I am calming down, and getting more used to the strangeness of it, and my breaths get calmer, shorter/shallower, it's less of an issue. Of course, time will tell, and 15-30 min tests while awake/resting is not the same thing as going all night trying to sleep, but at this point I'm hopeful regarding the ballooning issue. Hopefully it's not false hope! ;)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully better/sharper images:

Pressure 7-8, EPR 1

Pressure 9, EPR 2

Pressure 8-11, EPR 2

The best looking one when it comes to FL is fixed 9, EPR 2, but I had more centrals, which isn't good, and EPR 2 with 8-11 wasn't so good with FL. This is why I want to try EPR 3, and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,561 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,328 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,466 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 331 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 550 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 391 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.