Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar
RE: Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar
Amazing difference for me!

I've been meaning to comment on cervical collars... and finally getting to it:

I was put on cpap nearly a year ago. Sleep study showed AHI's in the 40's.

Starting on cpap and with fairly high pressures (started at 14 and was adjusted up to 17 or 18) was putting my AHI's mostly in the teens and I was experiencing a lot of mask leaks. I tried two brands of full face masks and two brands of hybrid masks. I did better with the hybrid (no nose bruising and fewer leaks), but still had AHI's in the teens. While that was a significant improvement to my pre-cpap sleep, it was nowhere near the 5 or fewer benchmark.

I tried a chin strap for one night. Couldn't get it to work well, and more straps over my head meant more discomfort.

I did some reading on this board and one moderator suggested I try a cervical collar. I studied them online and finally ordered a Corflex Ultra on Amazon. I did the measurement from chin to collarbone, wear a size 17 shirt collar, ordered a Medium at 3.5" high.

Wore it the first night. Slept well, AHI less than 1! Since then I use it every night. I average about .7 AHI with that combo. I never realized how much my chin was drooping. The collar helps manage whatever happens in the throat when the chin droops, and it keeps my lower lip inside of the hybrid mask. While I still wish the mask manufacturer made a large mask, not just small and medium, I'm really pleased with the results! I've bought a 2nd collar, this one a large, 3.5" high. Both the medium and large work for me.

I've noticed several people counseling not to wear it too tight. I've found I need it fairly snug, or my chin will slide under it.

My sleep Dr. never suggested the collar, rather just turned up the pressure. With the collar, he's taken the pressure back from 18 to 10 cmH2O. The lower pressure helps minimize mask leaks too.

Thanks to the admins and members of this board for helping me find the real solution to making my therapy work well!
Post Reply Post Reply
Have to add my two cents. I too am a corflex user and the review is spot on. 

And, yes size matters. There is no such thing as universal  or one size fits all. 

One more point: Cleaning, I connected the Velcro, threw it in the washer with my blue jeans and dried on heavy duty. Came out perfect and used it for my afternoon nap.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know! Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Blabok Neck Brace cervical collar ejbpesca 0 1,496 09-20-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  [Product Review] VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar zzzZorro 16 5,077 09-03-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Fabby
Cool [Product Review] Review Futuro Sleep Collar Rice95 9 7,246 06-10-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
  [Product Review] Review: Core Products Foam Cervical Collar, Black Purr3k 1 2,137 06-03-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Product Review] The Eliminator sleep collar Grandpapa-G 16 5,644 03-10-2021, 06:56 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  [Product Review] Cervical Collar fixed much of my CA issue richdreher 2 2,529 02-13-2021, 09:15 PM
Last Post: richdreher
  [Product Review] Carex Cervical Collar drmaestro 2 5,494 08-06-2020, 12:52 PM
Last Post: sheepless

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.