Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] F&P Vitera Full Face
F&P Vitera Full Face

This review is more towards the Vitera, but the nearly identical Simplus can be considered in this review as well. There are differences between the two, mostly slight shape changes on the cushion, a hose insert on the Simplus that's not on the Vitera, and the Vitera has webbed back of head strap cushion, and the straps are blueish on the Vitera. Differences considered as minimal in performance.

I received the Fisher & Paykel Vitera Large mask, single cushion and frame, yesterday along with a Medium cushion for this frame. I used it last night, and although it looks bulky and that it would interfere with the forehead and sight lines with that hard plastic bar, I found it added to stability without adding the negatives I'd thought.

I've only used it one night so far, but I did an overnight lab test early this year with this model. I find the mask feature called RollFit to be more than hype, as it seals very well with minimal strap tension. It even endures side sleep sessions with no leaks or movement. I feel the added adjustment on top to help orient the mask up or down your face as you see fit.

This Vitera is very much like the somewhat older version called Simplus. I give the Simplus the nod at the top strap adjustment range, but realistically, these are so close to being the same, I'd rate these identically.

I cannot think of any negatives.

Do note these F&Ps vent through holes in the front above the elbow. These vents are built-in on the cushion itself. The Vitera elbow has a clear insert, but the Simplus has a brownish insert on the elbow that may stick in the hose.

Either one of the Simplus or Vitera are excellent choices in a full face mask, and I'd recommend either to the full face user. Both these F&P masks are notably more comfortable than my F20, and these replace said F20 as my go-to masks. Leaks are far easier to control compared to F20 in either AirFit silicone or AirTouch memory foam.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
RE: F&P Vitera Full Face
I switched to the Vitera (full-face mask) and really like it.  I don't have cheek marks every morning.  Took me a while getting used to all the air coming through the vent though -- and unsure why there is air.  ResMed masks don't vent air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Air has to have a complete circuit from PAP intake, through the humidifier tub if present, onto the hose length, passing to the mask and then your body's airway nose and/or mouth, then what goes into the lungs must escape. The vents accomplish the vent of your exhales and the excess airflow over your inhalation volume.

Depending on the ResMed mask you're used to, some have a muffler and unique diffuser implemented that hides the vent from these masks
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave, thanks for the timely review.

Good to know from other posts that F&P are not in any way funding you, so I can ask unbiased advice!

I have a F&P Simplus on loan/trial but find the vent very noisy, sort of a wheezing/whistling noises, no way I could use that.
It also does vent quite high up near the eyes. I have no doubt it will control all or most leaks and is quite comfortable.

I notice others have had issues with the Simplus vent holes being noisy, and some have even drilled them bigger.

Is the Vitera quieter than the Simplus, can you notice any difference between the two?
Post Reply Post Reply
Admitted that my use of either is limited, I'd say venting noises and action are similar to me. Which I myself don't feel as a bother, but others as yourself may not like as well. Of all the aspects, the vent hole concept looks same on both, but everything else is just a bit different one from the other.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding Simplus (nearly 6 years) vs. Vitera (1 month)… my takes:

I agree, the Vitera mask is slightly more comfortable. As asked, it’s also quieter. I would get weird wheezing sounds from my Simplus if rinsed it without allowing it to dry before using. It took me a long time to realize it was tiny water beads trapped in the vent holes! The Vitera mask is constructed in such a way that this no longer happens for me.

I do find the Vitera strap design more comfortable too, but I’ve had to readjust it nearly every week, as it stretches over time. I presume that will settle down soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your posts.
Helpful.
DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Just got my F & P Vitera fit pack yesterday and used it for the 1st time last night and found it to be amazingly comfortable and almost leak free using the Medium Cushion. After just one use I'm absolutely convinced this far and away the best full face mask I've ever used...and I've tried at least a dozen over the last 4 or 5 years the latest being the AirFit F20 and AirTouch 20 and before that the AirFit 30 which I just could not get to seal no matter what.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 2 686 03-27-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 18 7,031 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,310 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask trish6hundred 48 25,617 08-19-2022, 06:57 AM
Last Post: sm315
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,836 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
Thumbsup [Product Review] Resmed Air TOUCH F20 full-face mask Gooserider 13 5,811 01-01-2021, 05:27 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask FLsleeper7 10 7,717 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: hmonnier

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.