Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] New Dreamwear FFM Review April 7 2018
New Dreamwear FFM Review April 7 2018
I received the new Dreamwear FFM three days ago and have now used it for two nights and feel I can provide an early review.

Background:  I have been  on CPAP for approximately 6 months and have struggled with finding a good mask.  Settled on alternating between Dreamwear Cushion, Brevida F&P and Amara View FFM.  Dreamwear cushion and Brevida F&P have been the most comfortable but issues with mouth leaks.  Amara View leaks during the night and I suspect from pulling of hose as I move around.

Construction: New Dreamwear FFM uses the exact same double tubing with hose connection on the top as with their earlier models.  

The Headgear has also been redesigned and now has a much more stable double strap system.  The upper two straps connect to the double tubing like the earlier model but adds two lower straps which has quick snap magnetic clips with small pins to keep tabs in place.  New headgear also keeps tubing in place much better than original headgear - nice and stable preventing top of tubing from slipping forward.

The new FFM cushion appears SIMILAR in shape and size as the Amara View cushion but made with a softer material and the portion that sits under the nose has been reshaped to resemble an under the nose cushion.  Also added to the Mask are two built into the cushion magnetic tabs with a small hole to fit a pin on the strap magnetic tabs.  These two magnetic tabs for the two lower straps are also vented with a wide slot.

Impressions after two nights:  Overall I was able to sleep without waking up due to pulling or getting tangled in the hose.  The hose connection is a BIG positive for me as an active sleeper.  Not sure why - but my total AHI's with the new Dreamwear FFM have been my lowest since starting (1.4 & 1.5) with my range last few months around 3.0-3.5.  My fitbit sleep status indicates best two nights in a long time with more Deep Sleep and REM state percentages.   Two nights is not indicative of long range but so far best FFM I have tried (others ResMed F-20 &  Amara View).

Pros:  Hose connection on top, new headgear with upper & lower straps, Magnetic clips on lower straps, and redesigned cushion.

Cons:  Might be because I need a Medium wide (on order) in lieu of the medium size mask but nose a bit sore on wakening which quickly goes away.  

Summary:  I have written previously that I was hoping for a FFM with hose connection on top since I really liked that design on the original Dreamwear.  So fare pleased with the new design and it has provided me with best two nights in a row sleep in a long time.  Hope this continues and will update as impressions develop going forward.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Dreamwear FFM Review April 7 2018
Thanks, nice review, i am also waiting for this mask...
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the review. I will add this to a list for future purchases. I like my current best mask, the F20 AirFit, but there's nothing wrong with getting another to try. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2018, 11:41 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Thanks for the review. I will add this to a list for future purchases. I like my current best mask, the F20 AirFit, but there's nothing wrong with getting another to try. Coffee

i've been using the Dreamwear FFM off and on for over a week now...I want to like this mask so much, but like the statement above, my nose hurts first thing in the morning...goes away by the time i'm done with coffee....but I can't seem to control the leaks with it.  I use a medium and it seems that maybe my nose isn't wide enough to fill in the pad...i dunno. 

I'm waiting on an AirFit F20...hoping to have good luck with that one.
A man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy
Post Reply Post Reply
AirFit F20 is a great mask IMO. It currently is my Go-To. I have cushions for AirTouch that pops in the same frame, but I can't control leaks as well on nasal bridge. AirTouch/mem foam version is shaped slightly different despite same size. Nose bridge area is more narrow and comes more to a taller point than AirFit as observed by me.

Still, I want to try the Dreamwear FFM to see if it's better than F20.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The good: If you like the Dreamwear nasal mask you might also like this mask. You need to buy the cushion and the headgear but it uses the existing side tubes with the hose connection. The hose connection on top is the big selling point. Vents on top and in the front of the mask. Same noise as the Dreamwear nasal.

The bad: There is no way to adjust for a leak coming from the top of the mask. The headgear connects at the middle of the mask and about half way up the silicone tubes. If you tighten the upper straps it pulls the silicone tubes which bend back. This allows the hose connection to move further back on your head and tightens under your nose. But doesn't Seal the top outer edges of the mask. I also have the Amara View which has the straps at each corner of the mask plus a top strap. The Amara View design works well. It looks like they tried to copy the design of the Amara View. But by trying to use the existing silicone tubes with hose connection on top they compromised the mask adjustment.
It also has magnetic attachments for the lower straps. But unlike the ones on the Resmed 20's these don't attach as easily. They have a small post in the middle of the magnet so at night in the dark it's somewhat tricky to line them up to fasten.

I gave this 2 stars because some may like this mask. I myself think it's a poor design that was thrown out there to try use the on top hose connection without starting from scratch. They failed.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Walla Walla, seems like that doesn't work so well via sketchy design.

Win some and lose some I'd guess.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife got the fit pack from our Sleep Doc, she tried it and didn't like it. So, it was my turn.

Tried it once, really hated it - coudn't control the leaks. Then I remeasured using the card in the bag. Whoops. I'm a medium, not a small.

Pro: ZERO leaks. Thus, really low AHI. 0.2 for the several hours I wore it.

Con: It wasn't as comfortable as the AirTouch F20 I normally wear. Felt "weird" around my mouth/nose.

I average a 0.5-ish AHI on the AirTouch, once I got the leaks under control. The weird/uncomfortable feeling was enough for me not to wear it the whole night, and I switched back to my AirTouch. Don't know if a drop in 0.3 in AHI and no leaks (I don't notice the leaks with my AirTouch, only see them on SleepyHead) is worth the uncomfort. Going to try it again tonight.

Really can't wait to get the Sleepweaver Anew - it shipped today! Maybe that will be my perfect mask, but right now - the Dreamweaver FFM probably isn't it...
Post Reply Post Reply
I Loved This Mask initially.  Then it stretched out or something.  I can't seem to keep it in place.  Thinking about some kind of modification but no success on that yet.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
I sooo wanted this mask to work our for me because I love the comfort and convenience (esp the hose entry on the top of the head). But after 4 nights of fidgeting with the mask to try to stop the hiss noise and the small leaks, I am ready to go back to my F20 so I can get a good night's sleep.

I use MW cushion and it seems to fold in on itself at the top. When I position it in the most effective way, the bottom starts to leak. I have tried every level of tightening but to no avail. I take it off and start fresh in the middle of the night. I really don't know what else to try.

It also seems to limit the air going into my nose. As if the slit like holes in the silicon need to be bigger.

I am jealous of those who have found the mask to be CPAP nirvana, but for me it has only been problematic so far. Maybe I will try again after getting some sleep with my F20.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,153 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,224 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 58,992 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear Crimson Nape 56 61,266 10-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
Thumbsup [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips RayBee 17 13,032 10-09-2021, 06:14 AM
Last Post: berkshire17
  [Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask FLsleeper7 10 7,710 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: hmonnier
Wink [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Review/Comparison with DreamWear srlevine1 5 8,623 12-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Feedsack

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.