Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Res Med S9 Escape
Wink 
Res Med S9 Escape
So my new machine the resmed s9 escape arrived two weeks ago. This machine is absolutely awesome. The ease of breathing with it is phenominal. Once its set up its as simple as pushing one button and it automatically sets the humidity and tube heat. My sleep has been so much more enjoyable with the easier breathing. Highly recommend this machine
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Res Med S9 Escape
The problem with the cpap machine you have is that you cannot monitor your data daily or weekly or monthly. All you can get is compliance info but no detail on how you are doing each each night.

glad you are feeling better with cpap therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi brianwood619, welcome aboard
Congrats, took me some time getting used to the therapy.
All models in the S9 series comes with the heated hose option. The Escape is a basic model, does not tell you anything useful, for anything useful you need Elite or Autoset models which cost only few dollars more than the Escape model. Insurance pay by a billing code E0601 which cover basic model like S9 Escape or full data capable machine like S9 AutoSet the same amount but your DME make most profit by giving you the cheapest one. If were me, get my doctor to write a new prescription, something like S9 AutoSet ... pressure auto range 9- 13 and "dispense as written" otherwise what the doctor would be checking next followup appointment if all what he get from the SD card is hours using, might suffice insurance requirement but not mine. S9 AutoSet can be set to work as straight CPAP or as APAP (two machines in one) better to have something you don,t use than need something but don,t have Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
yeah unfortunately i'm paying for it out of pocket as i have not met the deductible on my insurance yet.....ughhhhh
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's working for you and everything feels fine in terms of sleep quality etc, being able to view the data is probably secondary antway. It just means that if things were to change at some point in the future you'll possibly need to undertake titration to help determine what new settings will deliver the best therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Escape is a good machine. It is as good as any other S9 CPAP with the big exception being data collection. Other than that, they are the same. And like Surly said, if looking at the data is not important to you or your doc, it's a good machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
yeah according to my doctor i will have a sleep study every two years for the rest of my life due to my apnea being as high as it was.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the doctor does not consider efficacy data to be of such importance in successful treatment, I would find myself another doctor
Without data ... there is no way to tell if the treatment is working
Without data ... there is no such thing as sleep study and diagnoses of sleep apnea
Data capable machine is like having a mini-sleep study at home, all night every night
So why are we deny ourselves the right to have such powerful tool
Cost wise only few dollars more but treatment wise much more than few dollars

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2014, 10:53 PM)zonk Wrote: If the doctor does not consider efficacy data to be of such importance in successful treatment, I would find myself another doctor

I agree, BUT not that he's a bad doctor for not using the Cpap machine data. My doctor is the same way as brainwood69's. He wants me to keep coming back for sleep studies instead of data from my Cpap. He's very old school and probably doesn't like to use data not collected from a sleep study by HIS technicians.

Also I think there is a little money factor there too, the more sleep studies he does the more he gets paid.

The data is great for personal use though, and knowing what works for you and personally I think the data is as accurate as it gets. Just some doctors do things the way they want and set in their ways. Doesn't really mean they are bad, because doing sleep studies (in my case every 6 months) is probably a good thing as it confirms what you already knew, just can get annoying.

Post Reply Post Reply
Rest assured my doc is really good, very caring, he's getting in touch with my insurance to get them to pick up the tab fully on the machine. I don't like having sleep studies done, all the wires blood pressure cuff and rectal probe are very uncomfortable, but enduring all this probably saved my life, so a little embarrassment every two years is tolerable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed S9 Escape [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 6 13,348 02-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Last Post: truckerdad57

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.