Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips
RE: ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips
Here's a followup review...
I've been using the ResMed F30 Medium hybrid mask for almost a year now. So I thought it would be nice to share what I have learned.

Headgear...
I switched headgear about six months ago. The F30 headgear was causing a dull headache at the back of my head where all the straps converge. It just wouldn't go away. So I switched to the the Amara View headgear 1090697. It is available on Amazon and Ebay for around $20. The ResMed headgear would work OK as far as headaches goes if I loosened the straps. But then it would leak quite easily. Snug it up to prevent leakage and the dull, chronic headache would come back. The Amara View has a much larger pad where the straps converge (and where my headache was) and is infinitely more comfortable for me. Also, the Amara View has an adjustable top strap. My ResMed does not. I think some of the new ResMed F30 headgear may have an adjustable top strap. I have seen it in pictures only. Photos #1 and #2 below show the converging pad size difference.

Another bonus is the Amara View has larger velcro pads on all adjustment surfaces - maybe 75% or so larger. This makes the headgear last longer than the ResMed headgear. The magnetic clips will have to be swapped out with the ResMed style clips. Photo #3 shows the difference. I replaced the Amara View headgear after six months. I probably didn't need to, but I do notice a slight difference with the new one. The ResMed headgear stretched out a bit after six months. Each tentacle (for lack of a better term) stretched about 3/8" in length requiring periodic adjustments. The Amara View didn't noticeably stretch during its six-month term.

F30 Cushion...
I have found that the F30 cushion still performed well after nearly a year. It slightly discolored, but seals well and is still very soft, and pliable as new. I replaced the cushion anyway. Replacements are cheap enough. The old one is now marked for emergency use if needed.

Comfort...
After 11 months, I am still very happy with the fit and operation of the Medium F30 cushion. The Amara View headgear was a huge improvement. I nearly always sleep on my side and seal and slippage is not a problem.

Is the F30 for you???
I wish ResMed would make a large F30 cushion because the width of the mouth opening probably won't accommodate someone with a mouth wider than the average mouth. Fuller than average lips might also be a problem, but that is only speculation on my experience being of somewhat average facial features. I would also guess the small version would only be usable for people with a fairly narrow nose and fairly small mouth. That being said, I know the F30 would be a complete disaster for a number of people outside a somewhat tight range around average. With only two cushions to choose from and an infinite variation of faces, ResMed could serve its customers well by developing a few more variations of the cushion.

If you think this report helps guide you to try the F30, it could be a great move. And I'd love to hear more people chime in on what works, or not - success stories or difficulties. ResMed would clearly benefit in sales by offering more cushion choices on an otherwise outstanding product.

Photos...
Sorry about the weird colors. The color temperature of my lighting was less than ideal and Photoshop couldn't quite correct it all.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=26308]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=26309]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=26310]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the update.
I've used a nasal mask for over 30 years. Yes a bunch of them.
I mouth breath.
I'm currently using a Knightsbridge Dual Strap. Some nights I put it on right. Some nights I don't, and my mouth opens.

If I wasn't claustrophobic I would have changed to a full frame mask long ago.

Your report is helpful. I appreciate the care you took presenting it.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I feel luck to find this tread of review F30. I believe at this time of review f30i was not popular. Is any one use both F30 and F30i experienced by thought?
I would like to try Resmed F30i for my next Full Face mask. I asked similar question in other review thread but also here.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the F30, and currently use the F30i.

My hair is thin and my head is average or maybe smaller than average size, I guess, but I have lost over 100 pounds in the last year. I have a prominent, large but narrow nose with large, elongated nostril slits.

I use the F30i Medium cushion with the Small silicone headgear. I also use the padacheek mask liner.

I use a liner with any face mask, primarily to avoid being awakened by “mask farts”.

I find the F30i to be more comfortable, and it also seals better. There are more cushion sizes. Moving the hose to the top also helps reduce leaks, by keeping it from tugging on the mask.

I’ve found that with any face mask of any type from any manufacturer (tried many), it is essential for me to wear a foam collar. Otherwise, in deep sleep my jaw goes slack and breaks the seal no matter how the straps are adjusted. The collar also reduces chin tuck, which stabilizes both the airway and mask fit. Try placing your hand at the back of your neck, right at the base of the skull. Now tuck your chin toward your chest, keeping your mouth closed. Feel the muscles and tendons moving? That changes the mask fit. I like the Caldera Releaf, which is very comfortable, though not as supportive as a drugstore soft cervical collar. It’s enough to keep leaks under control.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based off of my previous experience with a similar mask design, the Philips Dreamwear, the F30i was a nonstarter.  The sound of air rushing up past my ears was just too loud for me. . . I'm delicate Big Grin.  I do like the F30 and prefer it when I have a stuffy nose.  As far as hose placement; I use a hose hanger and don't experience any problems with interference.   It is amazing to me of all the complexity and ambiguity of therapy for sleep apnea.  Either it works or it doesn't in most things. In sleep apnea treatment, maybe - maybe not.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much of your experience and thought of F30i . I will make apt with my DME for trying out. About the cushion: I am using size medium also small Airfit F20. Size small give me more tightly for sure. What is those liner you talk about? Is that something we bought separately? And we must seal those liner to the cushion ?
Post Reply Post Reply
@Crimpson Nape
I keep thinking the design of f30i help not blowing the pressure directly to mouth as I look at picture.
The F20 I am wearing cause dry mouth  except I have to cover it with something . I tried xilimelt pill but not help much
Post Reply Post Reply
What a great review!  Thank you.  I have posted elsewhere my experience with this mask so I won't get into it again.  Love the mask, hate the irritation that it causes at the point where the nose meets the upper lip.  Will keep trying.

Thanks again for the great review.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,691 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,301 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,154 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,224 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 58,994 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 124,151 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,006 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.