Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i
RE: ResMed AirFit N30i
I'm updating my initial review of the N30i.

I used the N30i for 2 weeks, and I've gone back to the Dreamwear.

The N30i and Dreamwear are very similar, but I went back to the Dreamwear for a few reasons.

The N30i vents much more air than the Dreamwear. This had the effect of depleting the humidifier reservoir to near empty on most nights. It never emptied completely, but probably would have if I required higher pressures, or if I slept longer. I have the humidity control set to Auto.

My leak rate was consistently higher (compared to Dreamwear), no matter how the mask was adjusted.

AHI doubled, usually from less than 0.5 to over 1 (I know, no big deal in the grand scheme of things!). My average and 95% pressure also increased with the N30i compared to the Dreamwear.

I didn't find the N30i frame as comfortable as it is larger and heavier than the Dreamwear. 

I think the noise of both masks is very similar, despite the more diffuse venting of the N30i. Initially, I thought the N30i was quieter, but when I went back to using the Dreamwear, I realized the noise is about the same.

The N30i has some nice features, particulary the nasal cushions with different shapes, but the Dreamwear works better for me.

I'd be interested to see how other people compare the N30i and Dreamwear, once the N30i is more widely available.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried the Dreamwear gel mask and absolutely hated it. Gave me a dry throat, and the softness of the rubber made the seal break when I turned.

I received my new N30i yesterday, and used it for 3.5 hours sleeping on my back before getting up (for a pee) - found it brilliant - better than dreamwear. Much more substantial construction, built-in side padding, amazing clip on/off thing at the top, very stable when turning in bed. The solid clear plastic supporting the pillows keeps the mask in place. Hardly knew I was wearing anything.

HOWEVER, when I hopped back in bed and was on my side, the air venting became apparent as a disturbing cool blast of air hit my arm. Unless I wedged my arm under the pillow (or wear a long sleeve top as u would in winter), I could not settle or fall asleep.

Reluctantly I reconnected my P10 and enjoyed a trouble free rest until the alarm went off.

So as much as Resmed has really improved on the Dreamwear design, it failed in the venting, and in fact in my opinion have regressed 5 years (to the old Swift FX days)as a result.

So do I 
a) wear the N30i whilst on my back, then swap to P10 for side sleeping, 
b) keep it for use in cooler months when I can wear a long sleeve t shirt, or 
c) return it to Resmed for my money back?

quite the conundrum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lab Rat,

I don't like the Dreamwear Gel pillows either. Have you tried the Dreamwear nasal cushion?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have and I felt the air rush around my nostrils too much. Like the nasal masks from 20 years ago

gel kept it focussed
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2018, 07:07 AM)Coffee Man Wrote: I'm updating my initial review of the N30i.

I used the N30i for 2 weeks, and I've gone back to the Dreamwear.

The N30i and Dreamwear are very similar, but I went back to the Dreamwear for a few reasons.

The N30i vents much more air than the Dreamwear. This had the effect of depleting the humidifier reservoir to near empty on most nights. It never emptied completely, but probably would have if I required higher pressures, or if I slept longer. I have the humidity control set to Auto.

My leak rate was consistently higher (compared to Dreamwear), no matter how the mask was adjusted.

AHI doubled, usually from less than 0.5 to over 1 (I know, no big deal in the grand scheme of things!). My average and 95% pressure also increased with the N30i compared to the Dreamwear.

I didn't find the N30i frame as comfortable as it is larger and heavier than the Dreamwear. 

I think the noise of both masks is very similar, despite the more diffuse venting of the N30i. Initially, I thought the N30i was quieter, but when I went back to using the Dreamwear, I realized the noise is about the same.

The N30i has some nice features, particulary the nasal cushions with different shapes, but the Dreamwear works better for me.

I'd be interested to see how other people compare the N30i and Dreamwear, once the N30i is more widely available.

Thanks for review update. Guess it's like other masks, better for some and worse for others.

BTW did you get this via DME or elsewhere?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a relative ship it to me from Canada.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2018, 09:42 AM)Coffee Man Wrote: I had a relative ship it to me from Canada.

OK thanks, guess we don't have these yet in US, no matter, I can't get new supplies via DME for 4-5 months
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had my N30i for two nights now and would like to post an initial review, comparing it to the Dreamwear.

The fit of the mask feels better to me, I don't feel it pushing hard up against my nose or pressing down on the top of my head. The angled nasal pieces are a good idea. With the DW nasal cushions I always felt that some of that air was going up into my eyes. I don't get this impression from the N30i. The integrated side pads are also a good idea and add to the comfort level.

The noise level is similar to the DW but that has never bothered me.

Looking at my SH results, there was a little bit of mask leakage on the first night but significantly more last night. That said, I am playing with the settings of this mask just like I did with the DW. I've been using pillows with the DW and this seems to get the least amount of leakage. I'll continue to adjust the N30i. AHI was under 1.0 for both nights.

From a comfort perspective I really like this mask. I just have to see how it operates in other areas.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2018, 04:36 AM)holden4th Wrote: I've had my N30i for two nights now and would like to post an initial review, comparing it to the Dreamwear.

The fit of the mask feels better to me, I don't feel it pushing hard up against my nose or pressing down on the top of my head. The angled nasal pieces are a good idea. With the DW nasal cushions I always felt that some of that air was going up into my eyes. I don't get this impression from the N30i. The integrated side pads are also a good idea and add to the comfort level.

The noise level is similar to the DW but that has never bothered me.

Looking at my SH results, there was a little bit of mask leakage on the first night but significantly more last night. That said, I am playing with the settings of this mask just like I did with the DW. I've been using pillows with the DW and this seems to get the least amount of leakage. I'll continue to adjust the N30i. AHI was under 1.0 for both nights.

From a comfort perspective I really like this mask. I just have to see how it operates in other areas.

Agree.

It's very comfy and no noisier than the Airmini P10 mask with its humidifier 'tablet'

Whilst I prefer my standard P10 mask, I'll keep the N30i for cooler months. We're about to head into Summer down under and the vented air on my hand and arm is a tad annoying, but otherwise it's a 9.5/10
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone have comments on the Air Fit N30i regarding leaks if you're a permanent side sleeper?  Thinking-about

I'd hate to spend $120.can.& then put it on a shelve!

Bag-head   snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 25,486 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,538 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,581 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,569 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 125,214 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,830 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 23,599 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.