Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] SleepMapper review
SleepMapper review
I just got SleepMapper up and running. Here's a quick review (as of June 2013):

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY Thumbs-down-1
Don't waste your time unless you have nothing else.

WEBSITE REGISTRATION Perturbed
To begin with, the website is flakey. It took me umpteen attempts to get registered. The registration is picky (but not in a way that it could, like, *tell you*!) about the serial number you need to provide. My Philips System One serial number takes the form "Pxxxxxxxx CxFx" I had to put it all in, including that space. That wouldn't have been so big a problem had the website been stable. As it was, every time I tried a different serial number structure and it failed, I couldn't be sure if it was the s/n, or maybe me mistyping the captcha, or just their website. Anyway, eventually I got in.

DATA UPLOAD Hammer
Then I turned to getting my data up there. I realized only at the last minute that they require a Windows app (ultimately to be read on an iOS or Android device Oops ) to read and then upload card data. I'm on a Mac, so had to crank up Parallels and then Windoze, not forgetting to manually switch over control of my USB card reader from OS X to Windoze. Not difficult, but not the sort of thing your old apnea-suffering grandma may be OK with. (Unless of course she was Grace Hopper, but then she probably wrote her own apnea analysis app anyway! Smile )

MOBILE APP (iOS in my case) Crying-into-tissue
OK, so registered on the website, data uploaded, I turned to my iPad to download the app. Vaguely curious that iTunes shows only an iPhone (not iPad) app, but ignoring for the time being (but see below). App downloaded, I logon but only after several failed attempts. As I said, the website seems to be very flakey.

And oh, what a disappointment. This is a pure eye-candy app. The core function is a big bright display of three numbers: AHI, "Mask Fit" (seems to be a measure of leakage), and "Therapy Hours". On the website, you get the same numbers plus a limited history graph. (The graph may also be available on the iPhone app, but since getting on there the first time I've not been able to get on since.)

The AHI and Therapy hours numbers match my SleepyHead numbers. But Mask Fit is nonsense. If my mask fits 100% then I'm a 100% fit for the next Olympic 100m sprint gold medal. Also, it only appears to want to take my data from last night, yet my card has data going back almost a year.

NAUGHTY NAUGHTY! Nonosign
One final thing about the mobile apps. The Apple version is designed for the iPhone *not* the iPad. As with many such apps, it will also run on an iPad, but it's identical to the iPhone version. Specifically, it's small, appearing in the centre of your iPad, not much bigger than an iPhone itself. The most you can do is click a "2x" button in the bottom right, and that magnifies it up to "full screen". But it's just a magnification -- it's not a genuine iPad app. Also, even when the app is magnified, you can still see a black border around it -- it doesn't fill the full screen the way a proper iPad app does. And you can still see a "1x" button at the bottom right (to return it to iPhone size) and the Carrier, Date, and battery charge status along the top. See the picture below of my actual app, and compare with the one on their website (I'd post the URL but I'm not sure that's allowed.)

Now all of that would be fine as far as it went, albeit a bit disappointing, except for the fact that on the website ads, the display does *not* show the telltale signs of a magnified iPhone app. There's no "1x" button at the bottom right, no icons across the top and, most important, no black border around the whole thing. The one they show *does* look like a fullscreen app. Looks suspiciously like it's been prettified for ad purposes and that's a bit too bait'n'switch-like for my liking.

CONCLUSION Annoyed-and-disappointed
For now it's just, as I say, an eye candy app, the only thing being offered over and above something like SleepyHead is mobile access (if you can actually get it to reach the bloomin' website). If you can't get this working, don't worry you're not missing anything. Stick with SleepyHead or similar until Philips stops farming out its software development to a kid on $20/hr who can barely program.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SleepMapper review
I decided to stop using the program when it supposedly uploaded data from my SD card to the Interwebs and nothing happened. I uploaded over a year of data already. Oh-jeez
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi onsonby! Thanks for posting this review...

I moved it to our Product Reviews Forum along with the other reviews.

Thanks!

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
eh...I use it just to amuse myself...I do see when my mask leaks are a little high but still within normal range..the sleepmapper says maskfit 85% or so..but when my leak rate was really low..it said 100% fit..so I guess its telling you its ok for some leakage...
like i said..just use it for amusement..I really dont know who they thought they were going to impress when they devised it?
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] AlaxoStent Review (6” FDA Approved) SleepyCPAP 64 10,905 02-19-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Product Review] Review of the Lookee Ring Sleep Oxygen Monitor with vibration alarm. paperboy 3 3,701 07-27-2023, 03:15 PM
Last Post: SnoNoMo
Cool [Product Review] Review Futuro Sleep Collar Rice95 9 7,243 06-10-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
Smile [Product Review] Wellue O2Ring initial review CZOscar 14 12,102 08-27-2021, 02:40 PM
Last Post: gettingbetter
  [Product Review] Review: Core Products Foam Cervical Collar, Black Purr3k 1 2,135 06-03-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Product Review] Good Morning Snore Solution Review kfujioka 5 9,315 07-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Jim Bronson
  [Product Review] VENDOR REVIEW ROSIE 0 3,112 04-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Last Post: ROSIE

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.