Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Tap Pap Mask
RE: Tap Pap Mask
Nasal pillows can be attached to an oral appliance that serves double duty:

1. Repositions jaw to open airway significantly. For some individuals this will get you half way there (or more, or less) regards apnea reduction.

2. Has a rod on which to attach nasal pillows. Google Martin Denbar sleep dentist in Austin, Texas for a picture. I think highly of Martin.

I have used a custom dental device for a year and half or so and have had no compliance or comfort issues with it, but am not quite satisfied with the apnea reduction so I am doing a second shot at CPAP. Unfortunately, when I tried the nasal pillows attached to the dental device I had air blowing out my lips and waking me up. But in terms of comfort I thought the method of attaching nasal pillows was excellent.

If a person uses a dental device I think it should be custom made by a good sleep dentist.

I plan to continue to use a dental device in conjunction with my renewed CPAP effort because there is no question in my mind the dental device is beneficial.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the oral appliance shown in that photo fit over both the uppers and the lowers?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This mask sounds interesting and I would like clarification. How is the mask held in position? Is it held in place by keeping your mouth closed on the mouthpiece or does the mouthpiece keep it all in place and no need to bite on it?

How about mouth breathing? Is that a problem or do you not tend to mouth breath using this mask? I have zero leaks with nasal pillows and using a headband as a chin strap to keep my mouth closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's held in place by the mouthpiece. It's molded to the teeth so it's held in place by suction.

There's a mask called "No Mask" that does the same thing, as far as I know. It however uses a boil-and-bite mouthpiece although the manufacturer claims you can a custom version made by a dentist. Now this type of mouthpiece serves only to hold the nasal pillows in place and possibly prevent teeth grinding. But the Tap Pap goes further because its mouthpiece is an actual dental appliance designed to treat sleep apnea by keeping the lower jaw held forward.

At least that's my understanding of it.

If you don't mouth-leak now with a chin strap, then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to continue with that arrangement.

My problem is that I do mouth-leak even with a chin strap. Usually it's not a large leak, but I think it may be causing me to wake up too early in the morning and sometimes I can't get back to sleep. I'm thinking that with this device I might be able to lower my pressure and stop the mouth-leaking. It might be worth a try but it sounds like it might be expensive.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2014, 12:08 PM)Sleepster Wrote: There's a mask called "No Mask" that does the same thing, as far as I know. It however uses a boil-and-bite mouthpiece although the manufacturer claims you can a custom version made by a dentist. Now this type of mouthpiece serves only to hold the nasal pillows in place and possibly prevent teeth grinding. But the Tap Pap goes further because its mouthpiece is an actual dental appliance designed to treat sleep apnea by keeping the lower jaw held forward.
No. The mouthpiece for the TapPap is a simple Boil-n-bite mouth guard as you can see in this video about fitting the TapPap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP5fmKpD...ting video

The official TapPap Fitting instructions also make it clear that it's just a Boil-N-Bite guard.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, then, I'm confused by Post #21 of this thread. I guess because I thought it was Post #1 until just this minute. Oh-jeez
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2014, 07:18 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Does the oral appliance shown in that photo fit over both the uppers and the lowers?
Yes.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2014, 12:08 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I think it's held in place by the mouthpiece. It's molded to the teeth so it's held in place by suction.

There's a mask called "No Mask" that does the same thing, as far as I know. It however uses a boil-and-bite mouthpiece although the manufacturer claims you can a custom version made by a dentist. Now this type of mouthpiece serves only to hold the nasal pillows in place and possibly prevent teeth grinding. But the Tap Pap goes further because its mouthpiece is an actual dental appliance designed to treat sleep apnea by keeping the lower jaw held forward.

At least that's my understanding of it.

If you don't mouth-leak now with a chin strap, then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to continue with that arrangement.

My problem is that I do mouth-leak even with a chin strap. Usually it's not a large leak, but I think it may be causing me to wake up too early in the morning and sometimes I can't get back to sleep. I'm thinking that with this device I might be able to lower my pressure and stop the mouth-leaking. It might be worth a try but it sounds like it might be expensive.

Medicare paid for my custom dental device. I tried using the attachment for nasal pillows, but I kept waking up with air blowing out my lips, so I had the rod removed and turned in the CPAP. Still using the dental device and now back on round two of CPAP in addition to the device.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2014, 12:41 PM)Don in Austin Wrote: I plan to continue to use a dental device in conjunction with my renewed CPAP effort because there is no question in my mind the dental device is beneficial.

Let's see if I'm understanding this. You had two issues. You were mouth-leaking and the nasal pillows were leaking.

So are you hoping that nasal pillows that are not attached to the mouthpiece will fit you better?

And how will you resolve the mouth-leaking issue? Are you instead planning on a FFM?
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2014, 10:38 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-09-2014, 12:41 PM)Don in Austin Wrote: I plan to continue to use a dental device in conjunction with my renewed CPAP effort because there is no question in my mind the dental device is beneficial.

Let's see if I'm understanding this. You had two issues. You were mouth-leaking and the nasal pillows were leaking.

So are you hoping that nasal pillows that are not attached to the mouthpiece will fit you better?

And how will you resolve the mouth-leaking issue? Are you instead planning on a FFM?
The nasal pillows attached to the jaw off-setting device did not leak much at all. Round 2 for CPAP, (still using the dental device) I tried nasal pillows that came with the (barely) used ResMed S9 VPAP Auto I bought. Those pillows were on simple straps and worked pretty well. But, even though the dental device holds my mouth shut, I kept waking up with air forcing my lips to crack open. I would love just nasal pillows but am afraid I would have to seal my mouth with duct tape to make them work! I now have a Quattro FX full face mask acquired free I don't remember how. It is promising, but I think I may need a large instead of medium.

I think a QUALITY dental device, custom made through a sleep dentist and adjustable for maximum air flow enhancement but not advancing the jaw to the point of TMJ, of course, and fitted for nasal pillows is an excellent combo treatment if you can keep your lips shut.

Don in Austin    
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.