Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Proper water for CPAP humidifier?
RE: Proper water for CPAP humidifier...?
I use distilled water at home. The first time I traveled with my cpap machine I packed a gallon of distilled water. I decided to use tap water the next time. That did not work out well. I don't know if it was the city water or build up in the lines at the hotel we stayed in, but there was a lot of sediment in the tank each morning making cleanup a chore. Now I pack enough bottled water for each night. It is easier to pack and I don't have an open container of water to worry about.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The distilled water is just to prevent mineral accumulation in your tank. You can avoid most of that by simply rinsing it out in the morning. As mentioned, these tubs are replaceable, so not worth worrying about. As Deep Breathing says, if it's safe to drink, it's fine for your machine. You can deal with any mineral accumulation when you get home in about 10 minutes with a little vinegar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in a hard water area in the UK. De-ionised water is available from some supermarkets, but may be scented, for use in steam irons. I use tap water, and disassemble the water tub every few weeks and soak in water with a splosh of vinegar every few weeks, to remove the build-up of scale.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with DeepBreathing. Lugging water around is a pain let alone the possibility of leaks. I tend not to fly anymore and glad that I don't have too. Just too insulting. We often travel locally by car and take a gallon of distilled water to get us started and then find a store to re-supply. If we take another cruise we will have to find out if they will supply distilled water for our cpap machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a distilled water person too. We have a well that the water is so hard it's like being sand blasted when we shower. The tank would have rocks the next morning if I used it.

I have used bottled water when traveling and that works well enough. My tank is one year old and looks like new. And as mentioned above, they are replaceable.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2017, 01:45 AM)Capt.Redbeard Wrote: I agree with DeepBreathing. Lugging water around is a pain let alone the possibility of leaks. I tend not to fly anymore and glad that I don't have too. Just too insulting. We often travel locally by car and take a gallon of distilled water to get us started and then find a store to re-supply. If we take another cruise we will have to find out if they will supply distilled water for our cpap machines.

I have taken my CPAP machine with me on both Oceania and Princess cruises and have found they are very accommodating.  I called ahead of time to ask for distilled water and both times it was waiting for me in my room.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.