Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Prototype masks
Prototype masks
Did a marketing research focus group the other day.  The topic was full face cpap masks.  Seems like an (unnamed company Big Grin ) ran 5 or 6 groups yesterday with about 5-6 participants in each group.  For me it was a quick way to make a 100 bucks, wasn't super interested in the study topic itself.  I am used to my Airfit f10 and have been getting good results.  Tried a ton of masks both nasal and full, and the full works best for me.  I'm a stomach sleeper so I wake up quite a bit at night with back pain, because of the weird way you have to sleep with a full face mask, but have resigned myself to that fate.  Anyway, after showing some of the hard plastic prototypes, they showed some models made from composite materials and fabric.  I myself had never seen this before.  The models had different headgear configurations, and different connection sites, on the front and on top.  All of which is old news but the profiles of the mask where smaller, and it fit like a hybrid, but with an inflatable piece that fits over the tip of the nose.  Apparently, if you sleep on your stomach the mask has some give, and compresses, while maintaining a seal, allowing you to sleep more naturally.  It is also machine washable.  Of course you never know how these masks will work until you try them, but from the looks of it, looks like they will be a major improvement over the hard plastic.  I myself am kinda excited for them to hit the market, asked about a price point and they said they didn't know yet, but if they make the treatment more comfortable I'm game.  Just thought I would share.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Prototype masks
Did any of those masks look like they were printed by a 3-D process and did anyone mention computer customization to facial geometry?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Prototype masks
No, they were made of fabric with a soft silicon insert that could be removed and washed.  I hope that's where they go with this next.  Hopefully, when 3d printers are cheap enough to be in everyone's houses you can just pay a few bucks for the licenses, for the different designs, and then just print until you get something that will work.  Hopefully, on the cheap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 218 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 407 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 493 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 454 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.