Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about CA (Clear Airway) Events
Question 
Question about CA (Clear Airway) Events
I've been on CPAP since May. Pre-CPAP my AHI was around 12.

Starting CPAP it stabilized around 4-5. After making some adjustments to my diet (cut out Gluten + Dairy + Seed Oils), and my mask (switched from the AirFit F20 to the Dreamwear Full Face mask), and it now hovers between 1-2 per night. I've been averaging under 1 this past week, which has been amazing. 

Whilst I do feel a lot better, I've had a night or two where I hit 0, or 0.3, and the difference in energy levels is almost night and day.

The biggest correlation I've seen in my daily fluctuations are due to diet. If I ingest gluten, or dairy, I will have an uptick in AHI events that night. For example, yesterday I ate some BBQ wings that almost certainly had gluten in the sauce. I felt it within 10 minutes of eating. My AHI went from 0.56 the previous night, to 1.78. I've attached pictures of my OSCAR data from last night. 

90% of the apnea events I have are Clear Airway (ca) events. I have the very occasional Obstructive Apnea. I have some questions!

1.  Could someone take a look at the flow data (pictured) and see if there any insights to be gained?
  2.  Does this mean that I have complex or central apnea (as described in the optimizing therapy guide)?
  3.  I know it's primarily for positional apnea (obstructive), but would a soft cervical collar potentially help?
  4.  My setup is:
        ResMed
        AirSense 11 AutoSet
        PAP Mode: APAP
        Min 7.0 Max 10.0 (cmH2O)

Are there any settings changes (however slight) that would be recommended for someone with results like mine? (Or even a change in equipment)

5. Would someone be able to direct me to some resources to investigate potential causes of my type of Apnea? I'm currently on a wait list for a polysomnography,               but given the success I've had experimenting so far I'm encourage to be proactive with my own investigation

I realize that getting it down under 1 fairly consistently is a massive win, and that technically anything below 5 means I clinically don't have sleep apnea. But given the positive results I've had from making changes to my diet/equipment and going from 4-5 down to 1-2, I'm optimistic that further investigation and small tweaks might result in even further benefits (potentially if I can get to the bottom of this, I could even get rid of the CPAP machine altogether!).

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Data - Low AHI but still not feeling great, and are these real OA events? Santino 17 465 Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Last Post: SeePak
  Need help with increased Clear Airway events zood 7 401 09-30-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: zood
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 217 09-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc
  24 CA events, I am practically worried. Ddobson85 4 182 09-30-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Newbie: CA events alangrima 3 196 09-25-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: alangrima
  Narrowing airway needs increased pressure? THEVGE 0 115 09-25-2024, 01:15 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
Sad [Treatment] Many Undetected Apnea and Hypopnia Events Tabster 7 348 09-19-2024, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Tabster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.