Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about new machine [A10 Auto]
Question about new machine [A10 Auto]
Hey guys! Been reading the forum for a couple weeks now, such a wealth of knowledge. I have been on CPAP since July 2007. During my sleep study I had 45 events per hour. I had been using the Resmed S8 from day 1. I used the same machine the whole time. It finally died on August 17. I started the process of getting a new machine the very next day. I have switched suppliers since I originally got my machine, so I had the Dr. send the Rx to the original supplier in hopes that they still had the original sleep study (I was 22 at the time and never got a copy to keep for myself), to my surprise, over 11 years later they did. A couple weeks goes by and still no word, so I got a copy of the Rx and sleep study and bought a machine out of pocket. I got the AirSense 10 CPAP, one because I could afford that one and two, I didn't know any better. I had been on a pressure of 14 for the last 11 years, so why did I need to worry about the AutoSet feature?

After seeing how far things have come since I started CPAP, I started reading this board. I discovered Sleepy Head and that while my machine now tells me my AHI every morning, there is so much more I could be seeing. Finally found out Friday that the original supplier does not work for my particular insurance plan, work with my insurance company, just not my plan. Why this took over a month to discover I don't know. I then faxed the Rx and sleep study directly to insurance and lo and behold I get a call yesterday that I have an appointment Monday to get my new new machine. I am getting the AirSense 10 AutoSet and I am going to try the AirTouch F20 after using my Mirage Liberty for the last 8 years (was on the Quattro before that).

Whew, now that the backstory is over... Like I said, I have been using a constant pressure of 14 from day one. Never even used ramp, just straight to 14 and loving it. Since getting the AS10 I have been using auto ramp and an EPR of 2 and have been liking that (average AHI is about .6). Now for the questions:

1 - I have never had a titration study done, how do I know where to set the min/max pressures?
2 - I know the AutoSet records more data, but I should still get the Essentials set to Plus, correct?
3 - It seems on nights where MyAir (I know, not the best but with my "brick" its all I have) says I have higher leak, my AHI is lower. The past 4 nights I have had much better mask seal scores but my AHI is at least double?

THINK that is all for now. Thanks for the help everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about new machine
Your use of the Airsense 10 autoset has been very successful so far, even adding in 2 cm of EPR and AHI of 0.6. It doesn't get much better. Higher leaks may mask some events, especially hypopnea, but I would not worry as long as AHI remains below 2 most of the time. As far as converting to Autoset mode, there is no harm in doing that since you can always revert to fixed CPAP if you are more comfortable with that. Best bet is to bracket your current settings. With fixed CPAP at 14 and good success, a range of 12-16 will let you see if that is more comfortable, and what your Autoset wants to do with pressure. Auto pressure can be very nice, but keep in mind some people do better with fixed. You are obviously in control of your therapy now with the data, so do what is best for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SleepRider! I'm pretty excited about getting the AutoSet if for no other reason than the extra data. I have no idea how the provider will set it up to start but will keep your suggested starting point in mind. 

I will be back with more questions I'm sure. Now off to got study using/how to read Sleepy Head.
Post Reply Post Reply
When your machine is set up, you want to be sure that the minimum is 6. 4 and 5 are actually pediatric levels (few adults other than very small women can manage those low pressures). If you've been on 14, then a setting of 9-15 would give you a good start and turn off the ramp. Then look at the data. Keep in mind that your body will be adjusting for awhile because it's used to a straight 14. You may not need as much now that you've been treated for so long.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about new machine [A10 Auto]
Hi SleepyHaze,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy and I hope you like your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about new machine [A10 Auto]
Got my new AutoSet this morning! They set it up as 5-20. I will change to 9-16, no ramp and keep EPR at 2 to start and come back with some graphs for input.

They didn't have the Medium AirTouch F20 in stock so they are overnighting it to me. Looking forward to trying that out. Felt very comfortable during the fitting. A little leak due to my full beard but I think it will work nicely.

Thanks guys!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 498 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,340 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,208 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 598 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,004 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  [Treatment] New ASV auto machine RickEiben 0 488 05-12-2023, 12:25 AM
Last Post: RickEiben

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.