Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions about TiMax setting on AirCurve 10
Questions about TiMax setting on AirCurve 10
Hello all,

I will be getting my new AirCurve 10 tomorrow (and gifting my AirSense 10 to a friend w/ severe OSA using a recalled Dreamstation 1).

I've been reading many of the posts about the settings and feel pretty clear about the setup. I do have questions pertaining to the TiMax setting.

It is my understanding that the default is 2 seconds. Looking at my Oscar data I see that the 95% of Insp and Exp time is between 3 and 4 seconds with my exhale generally slightly longer than my inhale. The 95% value of my Tidal Volume runs between 680 and 940 and sometimes hitting 1000.

I know I tend to take longer slow breaths while awake so looking at the data it seems it carries over there as well. Could this explain my high Tidal Volume values? Or are those numbers normal.

And lastly with long inhales and exhales, should I up the TiMax value to 4. I am concerned that the default value of 2 will adversely affect my breathing if my inhales are typically close to 4 seconds.

I have noticed that my inhale waverform is pretty uniform whereas my exhale waveform is much sharper. It that typical or an indication that something needs tweaking? (See attached screen shot)

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions about TiMax setting on AirCurve 10
Please post your nightly OSCAR chart.
And how big are you, height, weight, and sex as all these can affect tidal volume.
Are you a runner or swimmer? Your athletic ability can also impact tidal volume

The flow rate you posted looks normal with only a couple of very minor flow limitations
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2021, 06:44 AM)Gideon Wrote: Please post your nightly OSCAR chart.
And how big are you, height, weight, and sex as all these can affect tidal volume.
Are you a runner or swimmer? Your athletic ability can also impact tidal volume

The flow rate you posted looks normal with only a couple of very minor flow limitations

Thank you Gideon. Attached are screen shots from last night's sleep on my AirSense. Picking up my Aircurve VAuto today.

I am 5'8"", weigh 150 lbs, male. I used to run and swim but in recent years (due to a move) have changed over to doing a brisk walk for about an hour a day. And Yoga and meditation for about an hour a day.

Also, me waking every 2.5 to 4 hours is pretty typical. Prior to beginning therapy it was every 60 to 90 minutes. Since starting PAP therapy it has gotten better but have only slept beyond 4 hours straight twice (in the past 9 months). My doctor did say that I had bad sleep for about 10 years so it might take awhile for my body to realize it is ok to sleep long.

thanks for insights and help,

s.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure I can explain ti max in detail or to tell you how to analytically determine the proper setting, but I can tell you that I raised mine (to 3) because I felt that the machine was shifting to exhale before I had finished inhaling. I guess the point is that if you need a longer ti max, you will likely feel it. as an aside, I can also tell you that fragmented sleep is brutal and encourage you to try to determine why you wake and mask off during the night. briefly, that might include scrutinizing the last minute or two of sessions before waking, keeping a journal of some kind noting sleep hygiene factors and/or audio/video recordings.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
Your tidal volume is normal, but on the high side (410-547)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sheepless and Gideon. Just got my AirCurve and will get it set up, use if for a few days and post an update.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless proven necessary, I'd run defaults on the breath time settings for now.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2021, 05:06 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Unless proven necessary, I'd run defaults on the breath time settings for now.

Thanks Dave. Great advice. I will stick w/ breath time defaults for a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
If this is a used machine perform a factory reset first to make sure ALL settings are in their default setting. You never know what the previous owner did
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2021, 11:03 PM)Gideon Wrote: If this is a used machine perform a factory reset first to make sure ALL settings are in their default setting.  You never know what the previous owner did

Thanks Gideon. Yes, it is a used machine, but only 340 hours on it! I did an erase of the data and then a factory reset to clear out the original owner's settings. S/he even left the SD card in it with his/her data so I deleted that as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 7 197 43 minutes ago
Last Post: aubreyjs
  New ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto - Oscar Chart Raven87 12 250 04-22-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  N30i [what mask setting] Airsense 10 AutoSet Topdogg7505 8 3,236 04-20-2024, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ahfairley
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 3 163 04-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: melbell
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 108 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  EPR questions juniper 7 286 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 406 04-18-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.