Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Questions on Oximetry-Capable Auto-PAP Machines (and SleepyHead)
Questions on Oximetry-Capable Auto-PAP Machines (and SleepyHead)
Questions:

1) Are there CPAP and Auto-PAP machines on the market that have (optional) oximetry modules?

2) If yes, do these machines store the oximetry data along with flow and other data, or must the oximetry data somehow be "integrated" after the fact with this other data?

3) And here's my software-related question: How easy is it to load this oximetry data into SleepyHead and display it along with my flow and other data, so that I can easily see which events are associated with which oxygen levels? Frankly, I've been just barely scraping by with my limited knowledge of SleepyHead, and I am not very computer savvy, and I wonder how difficult I'll find it to build in oximetry data.

4) Are there clear guidelines for how much the oximetry readings lag behind the flow data? It takes time for blood to move from the lung to the finger tip or earlobe, so that desaturations appear in oximetry data only some time after the apnea has begun (or even after the apnea is complete, depending on circulation time). I wonder how people deal with this issue when matching oximetry data to flow data? Is a standard "lag" assumed (say, a 30-second delay)? Is there a way to automatically adjust of that lag by, say, advancing the flow data display relative to the oximetry display?

Thank you.

P.s., I am currently using a DreamStation at an autoPAP range of 8-12, but my understanding is that that this machine is not oximetry-capable. I would consider buying a new machine if I could find one that makes the whole oximetry process easy.

P.P.S., I use Mac computers. I have a Macbook Pro, running the El Capitan operating system (10.11.6). I also have a Mac Air, which runs a somewhat older operating system (though I never had luck getting that computer to run SleepyHead at all, notwithstanding several tries).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questions on Oximetry-Capable Auto-PAP Machines (and SleepyHead)
1) The ResMed AirSense and AirCurve models have a connection for an optional oximetry module. It is quite expensive, however, and may require a separate prescription.
2) The oximetry data is imported along with all the other data.
3) SleepyHead reads all the data and displays it along with all the other graphs in the Daily charts. Srlevine1 reports that it is not included on the Overview and Statistics pages. This may be resolved in a future version.
4)No, no guidelines that I know of. At this point, not enough users have enough oximetry data to arrive at any conclusions. There may be research papers out there somewhere.

srlevine1 did a Product review of the ResMed/Nonin oximetry module not too long ago: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-10-SERIES and there are reviews of Several Contec models as well.

Most people who are intersted in oximetry data use some variety of Contec oximeter (see Supplier #19 and/or eBay or AliExpress). This data is imported as a separate step in SleepyHead, and displayed with the Daily graphs, and, again, not in the Overview or Statistics pages. OTOH, they cost around $50 to $100, depending on model.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 07:11 AM)pholynyk Wrote: This data is imported as a separate step in SleepyHead, and displayed with the Daily graphs, and, again, not in the Overview or Statistics pages.

Slight correction.  SpO2 data will display on all pages of SleepyHead but you have to enable these features in the Preferences menu.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are right, CrimsonNape. I had never noticed the square just to the right of the flag color, under the label 'Overview'.

Also, oximetry data has always shown up on the Statistics page if you are using a separate oximetry device like the Contec models. I knew that, but I should not type before finishing my coffee.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much. I will try to learn more and may be in touch with some follow up questions once I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm continuing my on-again, off-again exploration the possibility of measuring my oxygen levels.

I may come back another time and post some questions, but in this post all I'm going to do is write out the steps I've done so far--that is, I'll write out what I've read so far. I'll do this to make it easier for anyone who wants to retrace my steps and also easier for myself to make a second pass at everything, which I'm going to need to do since I understood only some of what I read on my first pass.

a) First, I read the product review that you linked to:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-10-SERIES

b) Then I read this wiki instruction on using the CMS 50D plus as the oxygen monitor
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

c) Next, I read this thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Sleepyhead

d) and also took a look at this page:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...2_software

e) I also took a look at the website of supplier no. 19 on this page
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
and read a bit about the oximeters they sell. 

That's it for now. I'll likely make a second pass at everything once I find the time. Maybe I'll also call up supplier no. 19 and ask some questions, since the reviewer (mentioned in my step "a") said that this supplier is very knowledgeable. I may be back here before long with some questions. For now, I'm going to (try) to go back to sleep. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about the Oximetry Preferences setting.... Lucky7 4 154 03-23-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: croc297
  Importing Oximetry data billmelk 1 134 03-10-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 430 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Information Resvent iMatrix Software & Firmware Update for iBreeze machines SuperSleeper 1 1,308 10-13-2023, 08:16 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  How do I import data from multiple machines into a single OSCAR profile? levy76 2 588 07-30-2023, 07:15 PM
Last Post: levy76
  Can't set custom oximetry options in OSCAR Pixel Ninja 1 674 07-02-2023, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR with 2 machines, 1 user edfreeman 3 517 04-30-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: edfreeman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.