Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RPI4 font preferences not maintained between starts of OSCAR
RPI4 font preferences not maintained between starts of OSCAR
Since I'm running my RPI4 as a desktop for a while, thought I'd put in a feature request.  Or maybe it's really a bug.

Issue is that if the font size is changed in Preferences, it is only active for that instance of the program.  If OSCAR is closed, the old font settings return.  Don't know if this is a permissions problem, or just a plain bug.  I do know (from distant memory) that on an Ubuntu system, the font settings were saved.

Reason I'm mentioning this is the default fonts seem to make the AHI= so large that all the information on the left hand panel is pushed down pretty far so that some of the important information is hidden.  This is on a 1080p display.  

Thought I'd report it, as this might be RPI4 specific. 

Apparently there's not too many of us RPI4 users here.  Now booting off a SSD and over-clocking to 2GHz, which helps immensely.  I not sure if I can build OSCAR on RPI4, but I was obviously successful installing the deb file.  Maybe it is possible to build on the RPI4, now that I have an SSD...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RPI4 font preferences not maintained between starts of OSCAR
I don't know why the font size is getting lost on your machine. Is it just the font size being lost? If you change to a different font is that change lost also?

Font information is saved in the preferences.xml file in your OSCAR_Data directory. Are the new values being stored there when you exit OSCAR? Are you exiting OSCAR normally, rather than by killing the process? (Preferences are saved only on normal shutdown.)

There is an option in Help/Troubleshooting to zip the diagnostic logs. Do that and upload the zip file to my Dropbox folder. The logs may reveal something.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Only tried the main fontsize as that was the troublemaker.  I'll check to see if things were saved.  Umm, yeah the xml file was update and saved.  At 11AM my time.  Kind of hard to parse as there's no style sheet, so its a wall of dense text.  I think it saved it.

Pretty sure, I have been exiting correctly.  Definitely not using kill.  

I'll try generating a diagnostic log.  Been having this awful lag on this system.  Using a logitech unifying receiver.  Mouse and keyboard can hang for seconds at a time, but not at the same time.  Then it's fine for 20+ minutes.  It's been a devil of a time to find.  Be back soon, I hope.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see anything interesting in the logs, but you have them.  Exited properly.  Piboto 12 came back, although I had changed it to Piboto Condensed 10.  For what it is worth, the other fonts changed and stay changed.  Just the big BLACK AHI font is persistent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for uploading the log files. I don't see anything revealing in the log files either.

Could you upload your preferences.xml file so I can look at it? Yes, it's not particularly friendly to the eye!

Thanks.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Done.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your preferences.xml file says that the font is "Piboto Condensed 10". Are you saying that if you start OSCAR and go to File/Preferences you are seeing the font reset to "Piboto 12"?

There is code in OSCAR startup that makes sure that all font specifications are "legal" -- i.e., that your computer will recognize them. It asks the system for a list of installed fonts and then checks that the font specified in preferences.xml is in that list. If not in the list, it changes the font to the default system font.

I suggest you try some font other than Piboto and see if that helps.

I will add diagnostics to the next version of OSCAR to show what font wasn't found and what was substituted. That at least will make this problem more obvious (if it even is the problem).
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Your preferences.xml file says that the font is "Piboto Condensed 10". Are you saying that if you start OSCAR and go to File/Preferences you are seeing the font reset to "Piboto 12"?  YES

The font in preferences.xml is set to Piboto Condensed 10.  When I update preferences, the display show the condensed font.  But if the app is exited, and I start OSCAR again, and go to the main display, the font is displayed as Piboto 12.

I never heard of Piboto font...  Wasn't my choice of font...

The same thing happens if I use just plain Piboto from 12 to 10.  The display is updated to the smaller font.  However, the next restart of OSCAR, the font is set back to Piboto 12.  It's quite puzzling.

I'll try a different font.
Post Reply Post Reply
Changed application font to Liberation Sans 9 - which is a stock font.  Changes after exiting preferences.

But re-entering OSCAR, it's back to PibotoLt 12 in preferences.  Something is over-riding preferences.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I am one of the people with an RPi4 (oddly enough), I decided to look into this, and compare with my Debian output.
I discovered that the Preference which controls the font in the orange bar is the Application font (I'd thought it was Titles).

On both systems, the change to Comic Sans is saved in the preferences.xml file, but it is ignored when doing the font set up on the RPi4. So I'm guessing that there is something peculiar, either in the font description, or the QT implementation.

Poking arounf the web, I found this article: https://pi3g.com/2019/01/04/interview-wi...much-more/

Some of the interesting parts:

Max: Speaking of typography, what kind of system font do you use as a default?

Simon: It’s a public domain font from Google called „Roboto“. I’ve had to do a little bit of work on it. ... So actually, what we have is an old version of Roboto, that’s got it’s own package. I call it Piboto, just to distinguish it from Roboto. I can’t keep following the Roboto package, because it has changed the font and I don’t like the new one.

The system font we use is Piboto Light. Again, I want the Light version, because the Light version looks nicer than the normal version.  

It's a long and interesting article, delving into many aspects of the Desktop UI, but those are the parts which relate to fonts.

In any event, I can test any changes you want to try, Guy.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about the Oximetry Preferences setting.... Lucky7 4 157 03-23-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: croc297
  Session Preferences srlevine1 0 426 10-24-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question OSCAR Oximetry Preferences - Pulse Change Events - How Re-apply to Existing Data? DavidEsp 2 620 02-17-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: DavidEsp
  [Solved]: OSCAR-Opening a second profile - Font messes up KeepSmiling 5 698 09-30-2022, 02:40 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Font too small in statistics window DanEm 2 633 06-03-2022, 02:10 PM
Last Post: DanEm
  OSCAR preferences for flagging HR & SpO2 events? cathyf 5 833 06-20-2021, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
Angry Saving OSCAR preferences derekpotter 13 1,139 06-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Ratchick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.