Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rainout and sudden onset of nostril soreness
Rainout and sudden onset of nostril soreness
I have used a F & P Brevida mask with the larger of the 2 available Nasal Pillows for several years without problem, in fact I found this to be the most comfortable mask of a number I tried. 

15 days ago I switched from a Resmed S9 Autoset to the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with continued use of my Brevida mask. I use the auto climate control with the heated hose and humidifier, set at 27 degree celsius hose temperature (this was the default setting the machine came with). 

I am having issues with excess moisture coming down the tube and into the mask.

After about the first week with the new machine I now wake up with soreness and pain inside my nose, mainly on one side of the nose just next to where the nostril meets the nasal bone. it has got so bad that I have difficulty blowing my nose, hurts when I move my nose in normal facial movement, and makes therapy extremely uncomfortable. 

I cannot think of a cause or a fix, the only thing I changed is my machine. I am wondering if the excess moisture can cause the soreness in my nostril?

Does anyone have any advice please?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rainout and sudden onset of nostril soreness
I don't know what the S9's default humidity was, but I recall hearing thet the AS10 was set to more humid. Also if you didn't have the Climateline hose on the S9, you might have warmer air than you are used to. Either could irritate your nostrils, I think.

I have a Brevida, and a bump inside my nostril, so I can only use it for a couple of days at a time. Most of the time I use a Wisp nasel mask, which I like better than the similar N20.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2021, 10:05 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I don't know what the S9's default humidity was, but I recall hearing thet the AS10 was set to more humid. Also if you didn't have the Climateline hose on the S9, you might have warmer air than you are used to. Either could irritate your nostrils, I think.

I have a Brevida, and a bump inside my nostril, so I can only use it for a couple of days at a time. Most of the time I use a Wisp nasel mask, which I like better than the similar N20.

Thank you! I've just reconnected my old S9 after your response and found the humidity setting much lower just as you suggested - I thought as long as the machines were set to "CLIMATE CONTROL - AUTO" it would be all the same but maybe not so. The other thing I found was the Climateline hose on my S9 warms up far less than on the new AS10 despite both being set at 27C. So I'll be reducing both humidity and hose temperature tonight and see where that takes me Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Not very helpful I'm afraid, but relevant.

I have had way more trouble adjusting the humidity/temp on the A10 than I ever had with the S9. I find it really tricky to achieve sufficient humidity to prevent cottonmouth, without causing rainout. I think I have found the sweet spot now, but I still wake occasionally with very dry mouth. I seem to have to have the humidity a lot higher with the A10, which perhaps explains why I struggled with rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the A10 for years. I initially had rain out and humidity / dryness issues.

Once I started using the Climateline hose and setting both the humidity level and the Climateline levels to auto, it solved both problems.

With the Climateline hose there is a humidity sensor at the mask side of the hose. When both settings are set to "auto" the machine optimizes the humidity and heating levels.

It has worked very well for me in various locations and climates from Kansas winters to Houston summers.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 387 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 331 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 366 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  [Equipment] ResMed rainout help Sorcha 2 383 12-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 288 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  How do I stop this rainout?!?! Please help tierdal 17 1,206 12-12-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.