Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Curious
Curious
Has anyone else experienced this … it seems to me, the act of masking up somehow cues my system that it is time for sleep and I quickly drop off after five minutes. I was wondering about this because it appears to occur if decide to take a nap after a period of intense work. Or even if I vary my sleep times.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Curious
Funny you should say that, I said something similar to my partner just the other night. When I first started CPAP I found it so claustrophobic it almost gave me panic attacks and I'd frequently rip the mask off feeling like I was suffocating. But over time I've gotten used to it and now the sensation of subtle air pressure is almost like a cue to my body that it's time to sleep. Crazy how quickly your brain adapts!
Post Reply Post Reply
srlevine1;
Research Pavlov’s theory ..  The brain becomes conditioned to a stimulus that repeats ..
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
I can’t say actually fall asleep sooner but my eyes close immediately and it feels very strange if I “try to open”. Opening them requires a concentrated effort.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Just like sunlight said.  It took some time to adjust to using a CPAP device, but it became easier over time.  Now, I drift off fairly quickly after I turn it on.  Maybe like Pavlov's dog, but it works.
Sleep-well
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
Do an experiment, mask up without the hose connected and see what happens.  Thinking-about
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2023, 10:05 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: Do an experiment, mask up without the hose connected and see what happens.  Thinking-about

I actually did that once, but not intentionally.  Put on my mask and laid down, started drifting off very quickly, then realized I hadn't hooked up the mask to the hose.  Hooked it up and fell asleep. Oh-jeez
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if this could imply that a airline pilot that uses xpap might have notable difficulty when testing masked flying ?
I guess the only time a regular pilot would have to mask would be during some type of emergency, and then the adrenaline would take over.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2023, 10:18 AM)DaveCar Wrote: I wonder if this could imply that a airline pilot that uses xpap might have notable difficulty when testing masked flying ?
I guess the only time a regular pilot would have to mask would be during some type of emergency, and then the adrenaline would take over.

Used to fly a Cessna turbocharged 210 and used a full-flow oxygen mask -- never felt sleepy. Perhaps, it is the environment, the oxygen, the cockpit workload, continual instrument scans, and the dire consequences of lack of attention or falling asleep. 

Meanwhile: woof, woof -- it works for me.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] interpreting data: curious wakeup followed by lots of apneas doodat 12 1,200 11-04-2023, 12:10 PM
Last Post: doodat
  Curious about constant pressure from oscar jsl316 8 720 07-27-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: jsl316
  [Health] Curious question Krmilkman 2 485 10-03-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: mesenteria
  The Curious Case of Resmed 10 Series Clock Setting S. Manz 13 2,128 11-13-2021, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
Question Just curious about my RT. Danno54 10 1,253 09-18-2020, 10:19 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Idea [Equipment] Are you curious how the performance of CPAP humidifiers differs? pcstud 0 576 09-04-2020, 05:18 AM
Last Post: pcstud
  One Week In, Curious about report delilahcat0212 2 1,020 12-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Last Post: delilahcat0212

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.