Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recently Diagnosed, First Post, Couple Q's
RE: Recently Diagnosed, First Post, Couple Q's
With apnea, your body was frequently rousing itself with shots of Adrenalin all through the night. So, you are adapted to functioning on limited sleep. That doesn’t make it ideal or healthy. A few weeks ago, I started using time-release melatonin (REMfresh) to help me spend more time asleep. It’s still rare for me to get in a solid 7-8 hours, but I wake less often and get back to sleep sooner.
Post Reply Post Reply
FatSleeper15, what you describe sounds like the beginning of gradual improvement. The changes can be subtle, but you've done a good job of describing what you're experiencing, and it sounds to me like you are headed in the right direction. I'm sure you'll get some advice on your settings, and then your route toward better sleep will be all the more assured. Again, patience is the watchword.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you're setup for pressure 6.0 to 20.0 and your median result is 9.0 with a 95% result at 12.0. If you were o fixed CPAP, your pressure would be set to 11-12, so I think it's only logical to increase minimum pressure to 9.0 and probably 10.0. The Philips Dreamstation Auto is at best slow to increase pressure ahead of event, and I'm pretty certain you will feel better if you get the minimum pressure up to an effective range. 9 or 10 are your minimums.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 10:01 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: so I think it's only logical to increase minimum pressure to 9.0 and probably 10.0.

Thanks for the reply! A couple of questions on this:
1. I've had the machine 6 days. Am I going to get in trouble or anything from my Dr. or DME by increasing the minimum on my own? Mess up warranty?
2. I thought the perk of an APAP was that it adjusts as needed, so let it adjusted in a wide range. But are you saying my particular machine doesn't adjust/react quickly enough so that's why I should tweak it?
Post Reply Post Reply
1. If it works, you won't have a problem. They gave you a very wide range of pressure that is not effective, and that is S.O.P. for sleep medicine without a titration study. You are currently using their "best-guess".

2. If you had the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset we would not be having this conversation, but you have a Dreamstation Auto. It's slow to respond to obstructive apnea because it depends on snoring, and you don't have much. The Resmed responds to flow limitation which is a much better indicator. In hundreds of members I have coached here, the Philips needs to have the minimum pressure nearly at the optimum CPAP pressure. The Resmed can catch up, but is still better if set near the effective CPAP pressure, because less pressure variation is less disruptive to sleep. Trust me, the Philips auto algorithm is over-rated, and I live in the town where they are engineered and built.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info Sleeprider!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi

Welcome!  

I just wanted to add that to me a bunch of the events in the charts on the first page look like positional clusters... One of the easier fixes.

~~Sleep on your side rather than your back and stick out your chin while you sleep.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar  

WillSurf

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 11:01 PM)WillSleep Wrote: look like positional clusters...

Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to mention that I'm a pretty active sleeper... I usually start out on my stomach, then my right side, left side, back to stomach, then at some point I think I fall asleep in my side and then back. I basically do barrel rolls all night. Had 2 hose loops around my neck first 2 nights... Gonna take some getting used to!
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was my first night with an AHI under 1! I haven't increased my minimum pressure yet. Any other recommendations on my charts? Does the periodic breathing look like anything?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2019, 06:06 PM)FatSleeper15 Wrote: Last night was my first night with an AHI under 1! I haven't increased my minimum pressure yet. Any other recommendations on my charts? Does the periodic breathing look like anything?

Periodic breathing is insignificant unless it matches the profile for Cheyne-Stokes Respiration or is persistent through the night. Brief periods of PB are common when starting CPAP and they typically go away in a short time, especially once pressure is optimized.

To get an AHI less than 1 this early in therapy is pretty darned good! What pressure did you settle at? Basically if you remain consistently less than 2-AHI, there is not much more you need to do other than settle in, get comfortable and sleep well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 379 2 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 53 919 3 hours ago
Last Post: SheShells23
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 153 5 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,978 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.