Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recommended Oximeter for use with OSCAR?
Recommended Oximeter for use with OSCAR?
Hi Folks.

Kit: Mac, Contec CMS50D+ and previously 'Sleepyhead' app.

Up until the demise of Sleepyhead, I was using the stated kit to monitor my pulse and O2 levels.

Earlier this year I became aware of OSCAR and transitioned my old Sleepyhead data over (typically ~8hrs/day - all visible ok in OSCAR).

Since then I've tried, on multiple occasions, to upload new data from my oximeter - but I only get about the first 25mins worth.

I've seen some of the posts about issues with the CMS50D+. I've updated my Silicon Labs driver, rebooted my Mac and - no difference. I understand that the CMS50D+ cannot have its f/w updated.

I looked at one of the (uploaded) oximeter xml files which, if I read it correctly, contains bursts of 'Rx' error codes - which presumably explains the lack of data. Assuming this cannot be fixed...

What are the best recommended options for a new oximeter that *IS* fully compatible with OSCAR *OR* what other platform/oximeter configs would you recommend? Like many of you, I guess, I could really do with some reliable way of tracking my health data.

Thanks and best regards

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recommended Oximeter for use with OSCAR?
Hi Jim,
It looks like your oximeter can be used with OSCAR, so I'm moving this to the Software Support Forum as you may receive more advice there.

Here is a list of oximeters compatible with OSCAR.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Oximeters
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple of things puzzle me... OSCAR doesn't create an .xml file from the oximeter...

So a couple of questions: Which connector is on the 50D+, a mini USB or a micro USB socket. The older mini USB version uses the older protocol where you have to use the menu to start uploading. The micro USB version uses the newer protocol we called 3.7.
In either case you must use the cable supplied with the oximeter because it contains a serial to USB chip in the end that plugs into the computer. That end will be larger than the typical USB plug.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
@OpalRose - thank you so much.

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi pholynyk.

I may have misled on the xml - must have been one of the data files I opened in Excel.

I'm using the original cable supplied with the oximeter. It is a mini USB at the oximeter end. I'm aware of the need to use the menu options to start the upload - been doing that since 2015.  Smile

I can see the data files from my old 'Sleepyhead' days vary between 30-70kb for a full overnight sleep. The newer files created within OSCAR are about 3kb - so that is consistent with the fact that I'm only seeing a fraction of the data I believe exists on the oximeter.

The CMS50D+ is running V4.6 f/w and hasn't changed since purchase in 2015.

I can also see some log files - I could forward one of those if that would help... ?

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Best regards

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
An update...
So I've previously stated that all my uploads with OSCAR have seemed to limit the data to the first 25-30mins of my overnight recording.

Yesterday, Sat 3rd July, I obtained what looks like a full upload (7+ hrs worth). This implies that my setup CAN work.

What did I do differently? Well nothing really, except that I remembered that I had switched off the oximeter recording before the battery power drained. This led me to think that it might be an issue with my old rechargeable batteries e.g. possibly the oximeter not terminating the data file correctly before the power died. So I bought x4 new rechargables (at cost of £13!) and with fully charged batteries did the same last night i.e. switched off recording this morning before batteries died. Uploaded and... only the first 30mins! Aargh!

So I'm back to the drawing board wrt why I don't get a full upload. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csv-converter for like nx-8462 oximeter capman 1 151 03-15-2024, 04:45 AM
Last Post: capman
  thumbdrive-oximeter-format-analysis capman 6 200 03-15-2024, 04:29 AM
  CMS50F Oximeter Device not Recognized. ThinMountainAir 20 2,415 03-07-2024, 05:13 PM
  csv-format for generic oximeter imports into oscar capman 2 159 03-07-2024, 07:06 AM
  python file converter for EMAY sleep pulse oximeter joeblough 1 617 03-04-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: ElectricalPaul
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 237 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Added a new pulse oximeter importer... spacewrench 124 19,837 12-28-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.