Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recording Pulse Oximeter Accuracy
Recording Pulse Oximeter Accuracy
I've needed a CPAP for 15 years and certainly appreciate its benefits.  Every few months or so I do my own little sleep study using a recording pulse oximeter. With credible/stable data (saturation & pulse) and knowing how I feel when I wake up, I am very comfortable I properly and safely manage the CPAP. The problem now is collecting credible data.

I have used a Wellue O2 Ring for almost four years. IMO, it is excellently engineered with respect to form and function except the recorded data appears to be generally erratic with either single or many clusters of spikes low. Looking back almost four years at the saved reports, the spikes and clusters have become larger and more frequent over time with spikes now frequently 10% to 20% low. Pulse rate remains constant, and I can no correlation to the low data spikes. The clusters now also appear to be of long durations. The accuracy of the data (+- some %) is really not all that important but consistency is. I am often aware of the low spikes as I am awakened by the vibration (or already in a light sleep) and notice I am breathing normally so the low spikes are anomalous. I have tried various fixes from cleaning the sensors, adjusting the machine settings, to being sure there is no abnormal leakage. Nothing is effective. I recently found on a Reddit forum others experience the same problem. 

So, I am looking for a credible recommendation for a recording pulse oximeter that provides credible and usable/stable data. I do not want to spend money unnecessarily, but I do believe one gets what they pay for. A proper functioning CPAP is sufficiently important to find a high-quality reliable product. 

Although the product review forum section has a wealth of discussions about various products, it is very difficult to cull out a specific question from the many reviews. So, I am looking for a recommendation for a high-quality reliable pulse oximeter? Accuracy is important but stability and credible data is much more important as it is easy to account for a consistent accuracy error.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recording Pulse Oximeter Accuracy
Hi Barryng,

I have used the O2Ring Checkme O2 Max for a bit of time and found its data accurate.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recording Pulse Oximeter Accuracy
I have been using a Wellue SleepU since 8-Feb-24 and find it very useful. I didn't quite follow all your comments about problems (perhaps show an example?), but I'd be happy to provide data or charts from mine for you to study. 

I have the full data from every night. Every morning, I synchronise the oximeter data with the CPAP data - and, more recently, SomnoPose data - and then seek correlations (usually finding none!).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 58 3,431 07-25-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Information Oximeter (eg O2Ring) - Fix Time Error - So Simple! DavidEsp 7 1,030 07-24-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jaguarman9991
  Resmed Pulse Oximeter - Nonin 3150 BLE Purchase wayneflo 32 1,791 07-07-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  ResMed 11 Stopped Recording SD Card Data somewherein413 20 899 06-20-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 84 37,926 06-11-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Westerj
  wild pulse rate swings (o2 ring) eok361 2 337 05-10-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: icipher
  Added an O2/Pulse meter to my therapy: Phaleronic 21 1,309 04-04-2024, 11:21 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.