Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto
RE: Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto
My thought...may be silly. Heating hose helps me.

I have to wear a mask, use a hose connected to a machine and turn the machine on. So I bought the climateline (heating hose) when I got my S10 Autosense for her. It came with a slimline. (Darn DME supplier.) I use a hose hanger as Big Guy suggested.

I *think* that having a humidifier helps my treatment. I *think* that having the temperature of the air increased using a heating hose improves my sleep quality.

And I added a humidifier on my furnace after my ukulele cracked. Now I have enough capacity in the ResMed S10 reservoir tank in winter! It doesn't boil away all the water before I wake up. Yes. Canadian winter. Though it's very warm here in Toronto.

When I travel I leave the humidifier tank behind. I bought the conversion plate for the S10 so I can do this. Except I'm not travelling at all.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
You really should download the setup manual for your Airsense 10 Autoset from the link at the top of this page. Tube heat can be turned off in the clinical settings for Comfort. Choose manual climate settings and tube temperature Off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always switch from heated tube to non heated tube once storm season starts.
Something about having a wire coming within inches of my face during a lightning storm just seem wrong.

I had a very flexible heated tube for my DS1, but I haven't purchased the Resmed heated tube for this loaner machine yet.. Im hoping the resmed is just as flexible. I have yet to find a non heated tube that is as flexible as that Philips heated one.
Post Reply Post Reply
What setting should be chosen on the Airsense 10 if using a climate line? Standard or slimline setting? It came with the slimline setting from the DME supplier. Not sure if that is correct. Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Neither. The ClimateLine will be recognized when it plugged in to the AS10, and it will switch automatically.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2021, 12:30 PM)plakky Wrote: In other words, there are two types of hoses total? Or are there different versions (diameters) of unheated non-Climateline hoses? 

You can buy a regular or a simple (smaller diameter) version. It can be heated or nonheated. 

For those who swear that the regular one is better, would you mind considering that the connection of both types has precisely the same diameter? Hence, the air's entry velocity into the mask must be the same.   

Again and again, some anecdotal evidence surfaces, claiming that the regular one performs better. Well, the physics is solid. Both styles deliver the same rate, which matters at the end of the day unless there is something hidden in the software we have no clue about.
Post Reply Post Reply
G. Szabo - I have to challenge your assertion to your statement about the delivery being the same.  A Regular hose diameter is 19mm and a slim hose is 15mm.  This means that the 19mm hose has a 1.6x larger cross-section to deliver the same volume of air, 283.53 versus 176.71.  Using a theoretical value of 10 cubic centimeters per sec as a flow rate, the velocity to achieve this in a 15mm hose is 5.6588 cm3/sec. A 19mm hose's velocity for the same volume is 3.5273 cm/sec.   Again, the 15mm hose's velocity has to travel 1.6 times faster to provide the same volume of air as the 19mm hose.  The increased velocity in the smaller hose striking against the ribbed wall of the hose will create increased turbulence, thus an increase in noise.  The ends of the hose are insignificant because they are connection points.  It's the volume at the delivery point (i.e.: the mask).

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2024, 11:27 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote:  The ends of the hose are insignificant because they are connection points.  It's the volume at the delivery point (i.e.: the mask).

- Red

Hi Red, 
I fully agree with you. A while ago, I had already posted in a different thread saying that it is the volume rate that matters. I also made a comment on the noise issue that is identical to your opinion. 

My comments above addressed the opinions on this forum ( in different threads) that claim the larger diameter tube is better because its flow rate is "gentler" in the mask. There is even a YouTube video that presents this argument. Hence, I was saying there is no way to produce a lower entry velocity in the mask by using larger diameter tubes as long as the volume rates are the same and the connection diameters are the same (standard one). 

An additional thought: Because some of our members are experiencing better AHI with the thicker tube, perhaps we should consider the easier compressibility curve in the thicker tube, which might make the exhalation a bit easier. If this is the case, you should use longer and thicker tubes for better treatment. Most importantly, we need a controlled experiment to confirm this anecdotal evidence. I might have time to do that. 

Thanks, Red; I enjoyed the conversation with you. 
G.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 75 10 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 314 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
Question Hose volume Willw 4 285 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 434 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 260 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,345 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 634 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.