Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Study Results -- what am I looking at?
Sleep Study Results -- what am I looking at?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!  I have long covid, and have the fatigue that goes along with it.  A cardiologist that I saw suggested a sleep study, and I ended up with an at-home kit from BioSerenity that I wore for two nights.  The attached results and a diagnosis of "mild sleep apnea" came back.  My insurance at first didn't want to cover a machine because the results weren't bad enough, so my primary doctor who ordered the sleep study gave them a secondary diagnosis of daytime sleepiness.   The machine is supposedly on its way, and I'm having second thoughts about it all. 

What exactly am I looking at with these results?  Hearing words like "mild" and needing an additional diagnosis to get the machine makes me think I don't really need it, and it seems like it has the potential to be a lot of trouble for not much payoff.   Which numbers are the ones I should be paying attention to?  My husband says I only snore when I have a cold, for what that's worth.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Study Results -- what am I looking at?
I would assume your overall health and possibly other medical issues may play a part in the decision too.  An 11.2 AHI definitely indicates some sleep apnea.  The doctor did not do a titration test to see how you performed with CPAP therapy in the center?
Post Reply Post Reply
That's the thing, the sleep study wasn't done in a center, but consisted of me wearing some sensors (see the picture below) for a couple of nights while I slept in bed at home.  The whole experience felt like it was designed to have my insurance pay for a machine rather than to actually examine my sleep. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Based on your results, I think you snore more than your husband has noticed.
Post Reply Post Reply
The home sleep tests tend to under-score severity of AHI, and yours is at least mild and perhaps moderate if awake time were to be subtracted. The snoring is significant, and this test also likely underestimates the respiratory disturbance index (RDI) which is disruptive to sleep. CPAP will probably be beneficial, but all of this remote prescribing and home testing does not give me much hope your medical team actually is looking to help much. It will be interesting to hear what mask interface and machine they have selected for you. By far, the Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset machine is better than others, and it would not surprise me to hear that the machine on the way comes from China.

Try to get information on what machine and mask is being provided. You should have a choice and it's almost always a bad thing when you get the next one off the shelf they maximize profit with. Hopefully it will be something compatible with OSCAR software so we can help you get optimized and resolve any problems.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just an encouragement, my numbers were similar to yours on a home sleep test. I snored enough to keep others awake.

I have used a ResMed AirSense 11 autoset for a few weeks. It came with the factory settings, which worked, but have set it closer to my needs using OSCAR software, and guidance from Apnea Board. With the personalized settings, I sleep better.

On CPAP, I don't snore, at all, I sleep better, and I have very few apnea events. My back problems are improving, as the CPAP allows me to sleep on my back, which I couldn't do before. It has greatly improved my life, more than I thought it would.

There were some challenges getting things tweaked, both the equipment and my sleep positioning. But I'm getting there.

Best to you in making your decisions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 72 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.