Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rentals of Battery Operated CPAP
Rentals of Battery Operated CPAP
Hello,

I'm new to the board, but not new to CPAPs. I have used one since 2004. Anyway, I am going on an expedition in the Rockies in September, and believe I will need a battery operated machine.  Is there any place that rents battery operated machines?  I can't find one, if there are. I would appreciate any assistance!

Also, I say "I believe" I will need one, because I have been working hard at the gym and my average pressures have dropped quite a bit in past 90 days. My last 7 day average is under 12.0. Twelve is where I started back in '04.  I had significant weight gain, after being put on beta blockers and Cardizem, and that's when the apnea started. I still have 95 days before I go, so I am confident it will be even better by then, but my wife is pretty insistent that I get a battery operated machine to pack in with. I'll post my Oscar results over the next few days, but any information regarding battery operated rentals would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,

-jr
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rentals of Battery Operated CPAP
Why not contact your DME and ask? Most insurance companies rent the machines from them, at least at first, so it seems likely they would be able to rent the portable machines as well.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the apnea started with weight gain? You might have had it all along, but only noticed it when the weight gain made it worse. Also, lower pressure requirement does not necessarily relate to milder apnea - many people with severe apnea require very modest pressures, and many with mild apnea require high pressure to treat.
Post Reply Post Reply
JRinAR, there are great battery options that will probably work with your current machine, or a more portable model if you need that. You did not mention what brand/model CPAP you are currently using, but something like the MAXOAK CPAP Battery Backup, will come with all the adapters you need to run your CPAP up to several days, provided you turn off heated humidification (you can still use passive humidity). Your needs will vary depending on whether you are backpacking, camping or traveling by vehicle. Please consider adding some details.

Complete your profile, and download the OSCAR software so you can really evaluate what is going on in your therapy. FWIW, it would be very unusual, even with weight loss, to be able to comfortably quit CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I checked with my DME and they don't rent portables. I called a couple places with no luck. My thoughts on the weight loss affecting my apnea is based solely on the fact that my first wife said I didn't snore and stop breathing until I gained so much weight. Shoot, I am so hoping that it goes away with the continued loss... I'll post my stats as soon as I am able. I sincerely appreciate any and all feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
Consider purchasing a travel unit. In my view the ResMed Airmini is the smallest unit on the market but no data to look at... Transcend sells a CPAP for less than $500 although you'll need a HME.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 113 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,337 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,828 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,441 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,504 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Battery pack for Resmed Airsense 10 Jantoe 15 3,891 12-07-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.