Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Repetitive issue regarding
Repetitive issue regarding
Hello everyone, 

I was hoping for some advice. The past 6 times I've used CPAP over 2 weeks I've woken up to use the bathroom and cannot get back to sleep. There is a pattern, I am asleep for about 3 1/2 hours - wake up to use the bathroom, and then lay in bed struggling to get back to sleep. Eventually I get frustrated and turn the machine off and fall asleep quickly without it. 

Obviously this is not great for my treatment and still feel tired. Has anyone experienced something similar and was able to rectify it? I am getting back into using CPAP after a break and in the past I've had full nights of sleep with the machine, although even then it was not uncommon for the exact same scenario to happen.

I use a nasal pillow mask.

Thank you in advance Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Repetitive issue regarding
(04-03-2023, 11:52 PM)Hopingforachange Wrote: Eventually I get frustrated and turn the machine off and fall asleep quickly without it. 

You understand that this is the problem.

Quote:Obviously this is not great for my treatment and still feel tired.

Right, on both counts. It's bad for your treatment because it stops you from adapting to CPAP therapy. And of course you still feel tired because this "sleep" that you think you are getting without the CPAP machine is an illusion. You keep waking up but you have no memory of it. It can be seen quite clearly in a sleep study.

Quote:Has anyone experienced something similar and was able to rectify it?

Oh, of course. The body just reacts however it happens to. Some of us will wake after 6 hours and not be able to get back to sleep. It's very frustrating.

My remedy was to get a prescription for trazodone, but to take it sparingly. When I couldn't get back to sleep I would get out of bed and read under the lowest light possible.

Make the commitment to use the CPAP machine whenever you sleep. This will cause you to adapt and it will change your sleeping habits for the better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply. 

I understand that me taking it off is part of the problem, but from my understanding and from what others have told me, laying in bed for 2+ hours not being able to drift off to sleep is not good for sleep either. I've been told that if you have trouble getting back to sleep you should not lay in bed for extended periods of time, as this weakens the association between bed and sleep, and begins to condition your mind to associate problems with sleeping (especially for someone as neurotic as me). 

Hence my dilemma ):
Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee

Hi.  I too have staying asleep issues I am dealing with.  Although I can't advise you, I'd be curious to see an OVERVIEW chart.  I'm sure the more advanced people on this board wouldn't mind seeing it either.

Regards.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2023, 01:57 AM)Hopingforachange Wrote: I've been told that if you have trouble getting back to sleep you should not lay in bed for extended periods of time, as this weakens the association between bed and sleep, and begins to condition your mind to associate problems with sleeping (especially for someone as neurotic as me).

Me, too. If I can't fall back asleep in a reasonable amount of time I will get out of bed and read with the lowest light level possible; preferably a book, but a screen with a night filter, turned down low, works, too. Eventually I got to the point where it's rare that I have to get out of bed or take a sleeping pill. It just takes time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am only a month into this cpap thing and I am having the same issues. At first it was panic attack from the mask. Now I just can't sleep when I wake up. It is getting progressively better as time goes on. I have been using Benadryl to make myself sleepy in the mean time and it is working great for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopingforachange;
You didn't say if You were doing these two things ..
Have You quit drinking liquids 3-4 hours before going to bed ?? 
Use the bathroom just before going to bed ??
These two things may help avoiding the wake up to go in the first place ..
Good Luck ..   Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Watch this....

https://youtu.be/Iwza7s0RbzM
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 20 593 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: cps22
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 6 341 04-18-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: pamm777
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 218 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,483 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,553 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 168 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 808 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.