Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Replaced my ASV, not happy, need help
RE: Replaced my ASV, not happy, need help
Latest update -- After my scary experience I talked to an allergy nurse and the respiratory therapist, who both thought that the oxygen concentrator was probably contaminated somehow -- maybe was in the house of someone with cats? At any rate the RT sent an urgent demand to the DME and the machine got replaced that day. No similar problems since, though I was sick for almost a week with the aftereffects. 

The oxygen prescription was for 1 liter. I've been on it a week now. One big difference is that I wake up just a couple of times a night (versus 5 or more) and can usually go back to sleep pretty easily. I've had a couple of nights where I didn't need to get up to pee, which is almost unprecedented.  I did have problems at first waking up with a horrendous dry mouth, until I figured out that the pressure settings were causing my cheeks to blow up with air, and I was opening my mouth just enough to let the air out. Taping didn't help because I barely parted my lips. It finally occurred to me that the addition of oxygen called for less pressure on the ASV. I lowered the minimum EPAP back to 5 and the minimum PS to 4, which seems to have pretty much solved the dry mouth problem. My AHI is running around 0.6 most nights, and when it's higher I am pretty sure it's due to artifacts from moving around, etc. So I am sleeping better and have better numbers. Still tired and sleepy a lot, but it's also the holidays, and I am in the middle of a course of cluster allergy shots, both of which could be factors. And it's early days (nights) yet.  But since you were predicting a prescription of 2 liters I am wondering if 1 is enough, especially as the minute vent. is up only slightly. I am going to go ahead and get a pulse oximeter and see what the objective numbers are.

But -- now I have some concerns. I had never thought about altitude as a factor in my sleep issues. Since from the first PSG I had mostly centrals with very few OAs, I am now wondering if I am dealing with altitude-induced central apnea. I've lived in the Denver area most of my life and never thought I had a problem.  My daytime levels are fine, 97-98%. I don't know that age (I'm 68) is that much of a factor since I've had sleep issues forever, but the first sleep study was six years ago when I was already in my 60s.

The concern here is that we have been planning to move to Santa Fe, which is at least 2000 feet higher than here. I know that a lot of people end up leaving Santa Fe, and even Denver, because they can't tolerate the altitude. And now I am wondering if SF is really an option for me, or we should look at someplace lower like Oregon. That is, can the ASV and oxygen sufficiently treat the apnea at an altitude of 7200-7600 feet, one, and two, is it likely that over time the problems would spill over into waking and I would need supplemental oxygen all the time -- not an appealing prospect.
Post Reply Post Reply
People with respiratory issues seem to do better below 4000 feet. Just my observation of individuals that had to move from higher elevations, and Santa Fe and certainly places like Taos and and Breckenridge are not good choices when central apnea or respiratory difficulties are present. You might be fine, but lower elevations are far better, and when approaching 8000 feet, that is a threshold elevation for problems.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I'm not sure what the protocol is for a long thread like this. I have been using the oxygen concentrator for a few weeks but am not sure I'm getting much benefit. I need some technical advice re: the setup and how to calculate how much I'm actually getting based on ambient O2, my mask (Dreamwear) etc. Should I do that here or start a new thread that specifically addresses oxygen supplementation?
Post Reply Post Reply
I know that you prefer to have people use the same thread so as not to have to jump around, but I have a new question about daytime oxygen levels, fatigue/sleepiness and altitude which I think might be helpful to others--should I post that separately or here? Since it's been so long I don't even know if anyone is still tracking this thread, so if I don't hear in the next day or so I'll post a new one.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
If it relates to your therapy and the history in this thread is relevant, post here. If it is a new topic or something intended for others, post a new thread with links to anything that helps the context of background.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Thanksgiving. Big Guy 9 613 11-25-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: FLcracker
  Happy Anniversary...well...almost. David Clark 1 447 12-28-2022, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying used vauto with replaced motor? fishfinderG 1 598 12-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Happy Thanksgiving! Big Guy 9 814 11-24-2022, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  [Equipment] PR System One replaced with Löwenstein Prisma 25S tolnaiz 18 4,383 04-28-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: tolnaiz
  Happy to Share This :) Abletree 3 694 04-26-2022, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  I took apart my Philips Dreamstation and replaced the foam chamber. Now it's loud! allistairt 11 2,982 02-06-2022, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.