Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Repurposing APAPs for ventilation/In Italy patients are not getting ventilators
Repurposing APAPs for ventilation/In Italy patients are not getting ventilators
I have found out that in Italy older patients are not getting ventilators due to the shortage. I checked multiple sources for this.  They don't have enough ventilators to go around and they are allocating them to who might best benefit from them.  They call this triage. As people on this board probably already know well the fatality rate goes up with age. 

I think that a shortage of ventilators very well might be the situation in many parts of the United States in a few weeks roughly. Even if they don't have a policy of denying older people it might be that they simply don't have additional ventilators to use. 

So I am going to program my machine, DreamStation, to use the feature where the pressure is higher when I am inhaling and lower when I am exhaling. That might assist in ventilation. 

OF COURSE IT IS NOT AS GOOD AS A REAL VENTILATOR. 

I see that I am not the only person who has thought about it. I see 22 pages on the other thread. 

I started this new thread to have a discussion within a context in which it is acknowledged that ventilators might not be available for older people, like many of us in thiis forum, as policy. 

One thing I think I will need to do is start doing it now to adapt to this change in my setup so I can sleep with the adjustment made. 

I am in lockdown in our county and all the schools are closed. Our Lt. Governor has proposed a policy in which he calls for older people to just survive coronavirus the best they can.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Repurposing APAPs for ventilation/In Italy patients are not getting ventilators
Your profile shows you have a S9 Elite CPAP. It is capable of providing up to 3 cm of pressure support using EPR. Is that the "programming" you are talking about?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Repurposing APAPs for ventilation/In Italy patients are not getting ventilators
I have that machine as a back up. I need to update my profile. Currently I have an APAP Dreamstation by Resperonics.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 207 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Adaptive servo-ventilation unit vs APAP Comfortcomposites 9 566 12-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Reliability of Minute Ventilation Measurement Old Mike 2 471 05-14-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  air leakshi, I write from Italy. I use a resmed airsense 10 cpap at pressure 13 and a papaste 3 699 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: burgess4321
Question What causes high tidal/ventilation variance? YouTakeMyBreathAway 1 568 09-28-2022, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Equipment] Bipap with no ventilation advice dragonboyc 14 1,369 09-14-2021, 02:56 AM
Last Post: TassieDevil Tamar
  Do I need both sets of ventilation holes? Benzi 11 2,423 10-01-2020, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Benzi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.