Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rera and O2 desaturations
Rera and O2 desaturations
I am seeking guidance on optimizing my settings to resolve the 02 desats.  

[attachment=11526][attachment=11527]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rera and O2 desaturations
I can safely predict that your RDI and oxygen desaturations are the result of flow limitation. These are similar to hypopnea in that you don't get a complete breath, and it is often related to upper airway resistance syndrome (UARS). In spite of the low AHI, you are having trouble getting air, and this is causing arousals and the oxygen desaturation. Based on what we see in the posted chart, it appears you should try higher minimum pressure, and consider reducing the Flex setting on your machine. I would try increasing minimum pressure in 1-cm increments until oxygen results and RERA improve, or you find you don't tolerate the needed pressure to break the flow limitation cycle. The best treatment for this problem is bilevel (BiPAP) therapy with pressure support during inspiration to help overcome the upper airway resistance. These wiki articles are a must-read for you.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Limitation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ome_(UARS)
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP

Keep in mind that in any positive pressure ventilation situation, oxygenation is determined by the EPAP pressure. Yours is lower than you might intend at your current settings, particularly with Flex, and I think higher minimum pressure will resolve most of this problem. It is certainly worth trying before resorting to bilevel.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info -- good articles.  I will make the changes tonight and report back in a few days.  Thanks again for you insight. 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I am posting a follow up.  Should I keep the min pressure the same or should I bump it up .5 cm?
Post Reply Post Reply
Did your oxygen levels improve with the higher EPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
REMless, how are you feeling at this point? I think bumping up pressure is the best avenue you have at hand, but if you could be approved for bilevel therapy, I think you'd discover a brave new world of more comfort and efficacy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel better but I am still getting a high ODI.   Increasing my pressure  did have a subtle improvement though.

[attachment=12831]

I have taken your advice and acquired a bi-level device.  I will start on it this weekend.
Thanks for your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2019, 07:01 PM)REMless Wrote:  I have taken your advice and acquired a bi-level device.  I will start on it this weekend.
Thanks for your advice.

Wow! Stand by for some amazing results.  What did you get?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2019, 07:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 07:01 PM)REMless Wrote:  I have taken your advice and acquired a bi-level device.  I will start on it this weekend.
Thanks for your advice.

Wow! Stand by for some amazing results.  What did you get?

I bought a low hour Resmed Vauto.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO VAuto is best of class

Top of this page (CPAP Setup Manuals) send a request email for a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Clinician and User manual, it is a manual response and as such is not instant.
Press the Dial and the Home button simultaneously for 3 seconds (until the Clinicalmenu come up)
Do a Full Factory reset to clear out all current data

Ramp=Off
Mode=VAuto
Min EPAP=7
Max IPAP=18
PS=4

This will start you at EPAP=7 and IPAP= EPAP + PS = 7 + 4 = 11  pretty close to where you are currently at.  I'd also count on an adjustment after your first night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 188 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 245 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 766 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  PLM pattern or RERA spikes? permabear 35 2,370 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: permabear
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 619 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Oxygen desaturations jcw1407 1 498 06-27-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Persistent OA, Hypoapneas and RERA events despite Pressure Increase chewielotuses 7 1,063 04-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: chewielotuses

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.