Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV settings for first night of treatment: Do you agree?
RE: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV settings for first night of treatment: Do you agree?
On future graphs, let's use mask pressure instead of pressure so we can see the breath by breath pressure support. Your UA and H appear to be obstructive in origin, and likely positional. Your EPAP max is not sufficient to resolve obstructive events, and I recommend you increase the setting for EPAP max to 10.0. Mostly, you need to consider the possibility of chin-tucking aka positional apnea. The machine is responding appropriately but is too limited to resolve obstructive events. The goal has to be to manage sleep position to avoid postures or positions that encourage obstruction, and enable enough EPAP to deal with it when that fails.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your helpful comments and suggestions.

Attached are two screenshots for last night's data with mask pressure data above.

Yes, EPAP was set lower last night, but notice that the EPAP settings were much higher on the previous night (April 15) I used the ASV:

Mode ASVAuto
Min EPAP 5.00 cmH2O
Max EPAP 15.00 cmH2O
PS Min 3.00 cmH2O
PS Max 15.00 cmH2O

See also attached OSCAR screenshot for April 15, 2023.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
For any individual with central apnea, the higher pressure support or IPAP will cause a significant amount of air to enter the lungs, but a person with obstructive apnea will experience apnea. This is obstructive apnea, and the solution is going to be higher EPAP min or resolution of the cause of obstruction if it is positional. We can see that between periods of positional obstructive apnea, the low EPAP around 7.0 seems to hold the airway patent, but where high IPAP pressure does not result in a breath, that is obstruction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much, Sleeprider! Tonight, I'll increase the EPAP max to 10.0, change my sleeping position to try prevent chin drop and positional OSA, and use a soft cervical collar. Let's see how all that works out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Night 3 on April 19, 2023, while sleeping mostly on my sides, instead of supine, and while using a DreamWear full-face mask, soft cervical collar, and Sleeprider's recommended device settings:

Mode ASVAuto
Min EPAP 5.00 cmH2O
Max EPAP 10.00 cmH2O (which was increased from Max EPAP 7.00 cmH2O)
PS Min 3.00 cmH2O
PS Max 12.00 cmH2O

Attached are three OSCAR screenshots for April 19, 2023.

Thank you very much, Sleeprider and others, for your analysis and suggestions for adjustments to device settings.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Results are excellent although that was a fairly long hypopnea, and the machine was giving you 12 cm PS breaths throughout. Is this feeling like something you want to keep for a while? I could see increasing EPAP min to 6.0, but I think you can hold here for a while and see if these good results continue.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much, Sleeprider.

I'd like to know the significance and interpretation of the long hypopnea, including what likely caused it at that time and whether it is dangerous in any way.

I don't know if it's best to continue with the current settings or make adjustments to prevent any lengthy hypopneas. What would you do if you had similar hypopneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached are two screenshots of my pulse oximetry data for April 19, 2023, at around 5:38 a.m. It shows that during my hypopnea at that time, my oxygen saturation level dropped from 97% to 85% (5:38:13 a.m.)

Attached Files
.jpg   Screenshot_20230419_123636_EMAY_Oximeter[1].jpg (Size: 106.14 KB / Downloads: 35)
.jpg   Screenshot_20230419_123600_EMAY_Oximeter[1].jpg (Size: 107.4 KB / Downloads: 33)
Post Reply Post Reply
It is no desirable to see SpO2 below 88% but it’s brief and infrequent. Overall I thik your therapy looks good and seems comfortable. I don’t see any harm in raising EPAP min by 1-cm and it may knock down the few hypopnea that we see.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm so glad therapy looks much better now. I'll increase the EPAP minimum to 6.0 tonight, and we'll see how that works out. Really appreciate your helpful comments and suggestions. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 94 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 968 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 124 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Aircurve 10 Vauto ANTIKATE 5 139 04-14-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 17 672 04-14-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 211 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  AirCurve 10 asv vs AirCurve 11 asv Sterling147 3 192 04-10-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.