Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Burning Smell
ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Burning Smell
I've been using my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for about 3 weeks now.
Last night I awoke to smelling burning plastic inside my mask!
It looks like I'd forgotten to top up the humidifier reservoir last night, and it had run dry.
I normally have the humidifier on full, so I have to refill the reservoir every night.
How come the humidifier no has over-temperature cut off? 
And how come there were no warnings on the display that the reservoir was dry?
There are no visible signs of burning plastic, so I don't think the device is damaged.

I can't seem to find any way to report this problem to ResMed. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Burning Smell
Hi andyabel,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

It doesn’t sound like your machine suffered any damage.  As far as over temp-cutoff and warning features, I doubt you will find those features on any Cpap.  

Unfortunately, ResMed doesn’t consider you or I the customer.
Their customer is the supplier or DME.  You could contact ResMed, but you’ll not likely to get a response.  

You will just have to remember to keep the reservoir filled. You could also use a separate humidifier in your room to add more humidity, as the Cpap senses the humidity level in the room environment.

You should order the Clinicians manual for your machine, if you haven’t already done so.
Link at top of page.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the Resmed the humidifier heating plate cutout temperature is 165F. The tub is made of flame retardant thermoplastic. You might not get an alarm when it runs out of water but at least it won't catch fire.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2018, 12:54 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: On the Resmed the humidifier heating plate cutout temperature is 165F. The tub is made of flame retardant thermoplastic. You might not get an alarm when it runs out of water but at least it won't catch fire.

Thanks! That's at least a little reassuring :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
One more thought. Be sure to place the AC power adapter in a location that it cannot affect the air intake. Lots of adapters give off an ozone or plastic odor, and the machines will draw that smell in if the adapter is too close.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My humidifier tank runs out of water no matter what settings i set, one day it ends with half a tank after 8h, the other days its empty after 5h. I used to get that burning smell but it went away after it burned a few times. Now i get the smell of frying calcium, magnesium and whatever there is in mineral water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2018, 12:42 AM)crowtor Wrote: ... I used to get that burning smell but it went away after it burned a few times. Now i get the smell of frying calcium, magnesium and whatever there is in mineral water.

Do you also get odors from your AirSense?  I've only noticed this complaint associated with the AirCurves.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to use distilled water in the humidifier chamber.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's fine to use distilled water but not necessary. The only advantage is that you will avoid any mineral deposits which may build up if you have hard water. Many on the forum use tap water routinely. Mineral deposits from hard water are easily removed by vinegar.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
… and not all distilled water is pure; some brands will leave crud in the bottom of your tank.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,808 5 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,511 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.