Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto - Auto Shut Off
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto - Auto Shut Off
Smart start is turned on.  Unit starts automatically when masking up.  Does not shut off automatically when removing mask.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto - Auto Shut Off
The device should stop once you remove your mask, but will still blow a small amount of air for approximately 30 minutes.
This is a cool down period and is meant to prevent condensation in the air tubing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2021, 07:33 AM)FifthAvenue Wrote: Smart start is turned on.  Unit starts automatically when masking up.  Does not shut off automatically when removing mask.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help.
Hello FifthAvenue, 

I love the Smart Start feature but have experienced your problem and have a couple possible solutions for you when the blowing from the machine continues quite strong as if trying to still supply substantial air pressure to the mask even though the human is no longer attached to the mask. this is particularly irritating if you get a phone call at odd hours, yank your mask off to answer the call, and have loud blowing noise now occurring from the mask while you are trying to listen to the caller. Sad

Sometimes I think the continued blowing it is due to some kink in a pliable mask itself. Using the Philips DreamWear Nasal mask (I use small cushion + small frame with the updated 'headgear with arms' so the mask stays put throughout the night), I discovered that if I remove the mask and carelessly toss it so that there might be a slight bend in the frame or even toss a bedpillow on top of it as I crawl out of bed to answer a ringing phone, the deformed airways of the mask might trick the machine into thinking you are still attached to the mask, and will continue to blow hard to be sure you can get air into your lungs. 

I solve this problem 2 ways:
1. I just make sure the mask is not bent, scrunched, or stuck under a bed pillow, thus impeding airflow once I take it off.
or, also very easy to do:
2. Just pull the machine's air supply hose off the mask - you don't even have to remove the mask from your face. The machine will quickly sense no one's using the mask and turn itself off.

Also:
If you are using a nasal cushion, change the Option from "nasal" to "pillows" and that seems to help sensitivity for terminating airflow when mask removed. (Aircurve 10 VAuto allows you to choose nasal, pillows or full face.)

NOTE: ONLY IF you have turned on the humidity option offered on the AirCurve 10 VAuto will it behave as OpalRose mentions: it will drop pressure to a very low, light flow to help' air-dry' the inside of your 6 foot hose connected to your machine. HOWEVER,  this 'hose-drying' feature is NOT triggered unless you have the 'humidity' option turned 'ON'. 

Hope this helps. 
Kahri
Post Reply Post Reply
Or press the on-off button
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,511 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,240 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.