Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirFit N30i tape nasal vents shut?
ResMed AirFit N30i tape nasal vents shut?
Hi.   I just was given the ResMed AirFit N30i starter pack.   The amount of air blowing out from the nasal vents is so strong.   It blows down on blankets and right back up at me.  It blows all the way over and hits my husband!   

Has anyone taped those shut?   There are still air vents at the top of the head that let air come in and out.    But I’m worried about CO2 rebreathing issues.  

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirFit N30i tape nasal vents shut?
I've not used mine that much, but for myself rebreathing would be enough of a concern not to try it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  I wrote the manufacturer to see what they say.  My supplier said some of his clients have done it but it makes me nervous.  He didn’t recommend it.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed isn’t going to tell you to tape that off. The risk of rebreathing co2 would be too risky for them to say go ahead. Personally I wouldn’t do it. There is always the P30i cushion that you can put on that frame. The vent on that is much better. All you would have to do is buy the same size P30i cushion and swap it out. That may solve your problem without taking any risks. It’ll cost you $30 I think instead of a possible massive headache from rebreathing too much co2
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  My supplier is going to switch me to the nose pad you mention.  I’ll give it a try.  

FYI you are correct.  here is the manufacturer reply:

Dear Joan

Thanks for your email.  Under no circumstances should the holes be taped over.  All  masks need air vents to disperse the exhaled air and it is very important that they are NOT blocked.  As a manufacturer,  when designing any mask the aim is always for the air to vent  gently and quietly, so the air isn’t directed into the patients eyes, their chest or onto their partners neck.   
People frequently change position while they are sleeping, and bedding can also bounce exhaled air back onto the patient or their partner. Try to adjust the bedding so that it does not bounce back onto you.

If you have an AutoSet device, it needs to be told what type of mask you are using eg Nasal , Pillows or Full Face Mask in order to respond correctly.  The N30i should be set as PILLOWS.  Please see attached Care and Cleaning Guide for instructions.  
It is quite normal for the exhaled air to vent from around the elbow, or do you think the air is leaking from the mask seal itself  or maybe even bouncing back from the bedding?

If you are finding the pressure too high - do speak with your sleep clinic as they may be able to apply some comnfort settings.  You could also try changing the Ramp to Auto ( in the My Options screen) as this will keep the pressure low until you fall asleep.

I hope the general information below is useful:
It is very important not to over tighten the mask. The cushion is designed to inflate, and it is the inflation that helps to create the seal - if the headgear is over tightened (e.g. when trying to correct a leak) it can sometimes make the cushion leak more, as it flattens the cushion and takes all of the adjustment out of it, and putting a strain on the other components.  If you get leaking noises and or marks on your face it can be a sign that the mask is on too tight.

To improve your chances of getting a good mask fit - your face should be washed and the mask clean. For the best fit, the mask should be fitted whilst lying down, as the face shape can change between sitting up and lying down. 

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need any further information.

Kind regards

Sarah C 
Operations Co-ordinator

ResMed Quad 1, First Floor, Becquerel Ave, Harwell Campus, Didcot, Oxfordshire OX11 0RA, United Kingdom 

[url=tel:2863553][/url]
Post Reply Post Reply
Had the same problem with the n30i. Switched to the p30i cushion. Doesn’t have the vet problem and it seals better. The next time you are eligible for new cushions
(2 every month in my case) just tell them you want the P30i cushions.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
Do not tape the vent shut!

If you like the N30i cushion but not the amount of air vented, you could try the AirFit N30 mask. It has the same type of under nose cushion, but the venting from the cushion is almost imperceptible.

The N30 has a short hose that attaches to the CPAP hose, versus the N30i which attaches at the top of the head.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you tape the vents closed then your expelled breath will not vent, nor will any moisture from your humidifier or your breath. So you will be breathing in a lot of CO2 and have liquid in your mask / tubing. You won't die... I mean I doubt you will... Since CO2 will still vent back through the machine with nowhere else to go. But you won't be getting clean air since you will always be breathing in some of what you exhaled.

I've had the vents clog and it isn't fun. I was clenching my jaw in my sleep while i struggled for more air and waking up out of breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have pretty much given up on my P30i and N30i because of the venting and mask noise. Went back to the P10.

All you have to do is a test when awake to realize blocking the holes is a bad idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
n30i is annoying with the air release. does the new f30i release air like p30i or n30i?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,177 1 hour ago
Last Post: car54
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,570 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.