Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirFit N30i v ResMed AirFit N30
ResMed AirFit N30i v ResMed AirFit N30
Question for the group.  Has anyone used either mask and what are their thoughts?  I switched from the Airtouch N20 to the N30i due to a nasal abrasion.  I really like the hose at the top of the N30i but found that the cushion would slide upwards off my nose as moisture built up from my humidifier.  I tried tightening the mask and ended up with abrasions at the corner of my nose.  For the first time last night I tried a mask liner from Resplabs. That did provide a little relief to the abrasion at the corner of my nose, but I still woke up having to re position the cushion. I was fit with a small frame and medium cushion. 
I had to travel the other week and I purchased the N30 kit for my AirMini.  While both cushions are comfortable I kind of felt that the N30 cushion was a little more "moldable" and softer on my nose.  That said it seems that my AirMini operates at an overall lower pressure than my ResMed AirSense 10. I'm sure that will make a difference.  Also for both masks I do use a Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin strap due to jaw drop.  I did cut a hole in the top of the cap to accommodate the top connection of the hose for the N30. 
Has anyone tried both masks and what are their thoughts regarding the fit of the cushion?  
 I am tempted to get the N30 mask pack from Loft and to give it a try with my Airsense 10.  If it doesn't work they will allow me to trade out for another N30i kit but before I pay out the $$ wanted to get the thoughts of the forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirFit N30i v ResMed AirFit N30
Hi, Columbiabill  I tried the N30i early on and switched to the P30i.  The main reason was that I just decided I preferred pillows because they don't slide around, but I also had trouble with my skin.  I don't think it was abrasion exactly but rather that the surface contact with silicone was occluding my skin, causing redness and irritation due to stopped up pores.  Pressure against the skin was part of the problem.  Creams made this worse rather than helping (although you might find a cream that works for you -- many recommend that).

With the P30i, there is less contact with silicone, but pressure is concentrated at two points where the edges of the prongs rest on my upper lip, just below my nose.  I was afraid I was headed for pressure sores.  I tried things like micropore tape under my nose, but then I got irritation from pulling the tape off in the morning.  

The solution I found was to cut a piece of the micro terry material from the soles of light-weight running socks and tape that under my nose with small strips of cover roll stretch tape.  This "moustache" of micro terry allows my skin to breathe and provides just enough padding.

I'm not sure you could make that work with a nasal cushion mask like the N30; it would be hard to keep the openings lined up and avoid leaks.  But it might be possible.  And thinner fabric like tee shirt material might be sufficient.  If I were trying that, I think I would tape it to the mask or to my skin to keep it from moving around.

First, though, be sure you're not adjusting the mask any tighter than absolutely necessary.  Also try a pillow mask.  I think many CPAPers rotate multiple types of masks to give their skin a break.  Or just because they like a change, or find that certain masks work better when they have nasal congestion, etc.

Also, be sure you're wearing the best size for your face.  I'm not a big person at all, and the regular frame is snug enough on me.  Try different size nose pieces.  They should have given you a fit pack initially, which has all three sizes of the nose pieces.  Definitely get that when you get another mask.

Also, can you wear the chin strap under the mask?  That would reduce pressure on the mask.  

Here are some useful tips on mask fitting:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! | Apnea Board

Keep trying and experimenting -- finding the right mask and fit for your face is 90 percent of using CPAP successfully!  Be well-informed about the 30-day return policies that some sellers offer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the fit of the pillows, but I had a huge problem with congestion on pillows. Much better on nasal cushions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used the N30 with the Airsense 10 since the Dreamstation recall was announced, but haven't tried the N30i. I really like the minimal headgear on the N30 and have had great luck with it. Before that, I used Philips Dreamwear headgear that was similar to the N30i and found it uncomfortable. At least for me, I've gotten good life out of the medium cushions (5-6 months if I recall) and have replaced the headgear once since I started using it. There seem to be quite a few complaints about the headgear stretching out easily, but whenever I notice it feeling that way, I'll give it a quick wash and rinse, then let it air dry. That shrinks it back to normal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 10 162 7 hours ago
Last Post: labrat
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,365 Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,202 Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Transitioning from ResMed to Lowenstein Prisma 20A SakimaStorm 5 283 04-16-2024, 04:34 AM
Last Post: bobgsm
  ResMed blower motor disassembly PinehillJoe 3 84 04-15-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 985 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 482 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.