Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirFit P10 questions
ResMed AirFit P10 questions
UPS just delivered a P10 mask I ordered from the huge online internet retailer where I got a good price and free shipping from my Prime membership.

I haven't slept with it yet but it certainly is far more unobtrusive than the nasal mask I've been using.

A few questions:
The diffuser/vent doesn't seem to have a heck of a lot of air flow compared to the Philips/Respironics Wisp mask I'm using. Does it really allow all the CO2 to bleed out?

What is the functional difference on an S9 AutoSet between "nasal mask" and "pillow"? I've changed the setting but I'm wondering what it does?

I've read here that lanolin is recommended to minimize irritation. Is there anything I should look for or avoid when buying it?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirFit P10 questions
Hi Geoff.

One of the nicest things about the P10 is its diffused vent. It works great. The setting between "pillows" and "nasal" doesn't do much, but as I recall it is used to modify the expected leak numbers.

The lanolin you want is sold in the baby department isle's at your local pharmacy type store. It's called "HPA Lanolin" out here. If you use it, use just a very small amount as a little bit is all that's needed.

The only thing to avoid about it is do not use it as per the directions on the package. That won't help much. Instead, just apply a tiny bit to your nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask setting is so that the machine knows what pressure drop there is from the machine to your face.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GeoffD,
The P 10's mesh vent works quite well and that's what helps the mask to be very quiet, I hope you like it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
After one night, I'm sold. Everything about it is better than my now-obsolete Philips Respironics Wisp nasal mask. The diffuser/vent works perfectly and is dead-quiet where the Wisp vent is really noisy if it happens to be blowing against my pillow. It's much more comfortable and far less obtrusive. It's so easy to snap out and clean the pillows that it will get done every day.

The best part is that the oils from my face made the nasal mask leak a little bit after 4 or 5 hours of use. I'd wake up at 4:30 and want to take the mask off. With the P10 nasal pillows, I was easily able to fall back asleep for two more hours.

Now to experiment with the headgear. I wore it with the bands together for the tighest-possible fit. I'm going to try to separate the two bands to loosen the headgear. From buying ski and bicycle helmets, I know I have a pretty large head so I'm probably wearing the nasal pillows too tightly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking of trying the P10 but I see it isn't compatible with the VPAP Adapt. Can anybody tell me why this is so and if there are similar masks which are compatible?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2014, 11:18 AM)GeoffD Wrote: UPS just delivered a P10 mask I ordered from the huge online internet retailer where I got a good price and free shipping from my Prime membership.

Congratulations! By now you have also posted on wearing it successfully at least one night, so double congratulations.

Too-funnyLike Al Gore inventing the Internet, I invented the P10 Too-funny

Seriously, for those who CAN wear it the P10 is typically miles ahead of any other mask, or at worst as good as any available.

(11-11-2014, 11:18 AM)GeoffD Wrote: A few questions:
The diffuser/vent doesn't seem to have a heck of a lot of air flow compared to the Philips/Respironics Wisp mask I'm using. Does it really allow all the CO2 to bleed out?

First, the P10 has such a SMALL internal volume that there is very little dead air space to worry about; likely none compared to your own lungs, breathing track, and residual volume.

Second, the P10 is venting, they have just found a way to make it so diffuse and quiet that many times we have trouble telling the machine is even turned on or pumping air.

(11-11-2014, 11:18 AM)GeoffD Wrote: What is the functional difference on an S9 AutoSet between "nasal mask" and "pillow"? I've changed the setting but I'm wondering what it does?

The Resmed machines (S9 etc.) attempt to SUBTRACT out "mask leak" from total leak to report the final "leak number".

The different mask types allow for more accurate adjustment of this figure. Ideally, (if extreme accuracy were important) there would be a setting for each and every mask type down to the model.

But since the major types of masks sealing to the face (FFM, NM) or just pillows in your nose covers the largest discrepancies the simple settings seem sufficient.

For a 'Hybrid' (oral mask with nasal pillows), I just have to guess which is a better fit.

This is only truly important when comparing your leak numbers, e.g., when using the 24 l/m as a cutoff for "good leak vs. bad leak".

Truth is, *I* want my leak numbers WAY below this artificial limit anyway.
(11-11-2014, 11:18 AM)GeoffD Wrote: I've read here that lanolin is recommended to minimize irritation. Is there anything I should look for or avoid when buying it?

No, the ones I have link in *my* posts work well. I have tried the PASTE (way heavier than a cream) and the liquid.

[search for 'lanolin' in posts from 'HerbM' to find the references, perhaps adding Amazon to the search terms.]

Both have uses, but the liquid is best for something like your lips where you want a large area of spreadable coverage. I prefer the paste for spot protection like contact irritation from the mask.

Generally the irritation is from one or both of the following sources:

1) Wearing the mask TOO tight

2) Allowing the mask to 'move' around or putting the mask on and off or otherwise 'fiddling' with the pillows.

The answers:

Wear it looser than you expect it should be.

Leave the darn thing alone and stop fiddling with it once the fit is set. (Really)

Irritation is very similar to shoe irritation and blisters; it is caused primarily by FIT, PRESSURE, and SLIPPAGE (movement) against the skin.

See my other posts about the P10, fit, putting it on carefully (e.g., in front of the mirror and do NOT adjust it ALL night), and other wearing tips.

If you are in doubt, wear it LOOSER.

Enjoy!
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Good points Herb.

Tell though how can you wear the P10 looser when Resmed in their wisdom supply it with fixed length headgear?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm into the 6th day of using a P10 and my AHI has dropped from 8.62 to an average of 2.8. In switching from a full mask to nasal pillows setting on the S9 I found a slight anomaly. My unit was suppose to be a CPAP and set at a constant 10 cmH2O but was set as an APAP with pressures set at 5 to 10. With the full mask setting, the unit stayed at 10 all the time and nobody noticed this setup. It didn't invoke the variable setting until I went to the nasal pillows and set it accordingly. I also noticed that the S9 has an autostart feature that only works with nasal devices. I haven't tried it but I'm curious. Has anybody tried it?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2014, 08:10 AM)kmar92 Wrote: Good points Herb.

Tell though how can you wear the P10 looser when Resmed in their wisdom supply it with fixed length headgear?

Technically, Resmed CLAIMS the strap is NOT fixed length but is rather intended to stretch.

There are at least 4 ways to make it looser:

1) Stretch the @$#% out of it (and keep doing it until it stays larger and looser.)

2) Wear it a long time and it will stretch some on it's own (similar to #1 but takes longer.)

3) "Nick" or partially cut the strap so that only 50% (or some portion) is still pulling -- My GIANT puppy designed and implemented this method. It works quite well. If you use this method the royalty fee is "one rawhide bone" sent to Sugar Bear, Inc.

The strap is amazingly resilient so even a few threads will allow wearing the mask if it fits well enough.

4) Cut the strap completely and add velcro to allow complete freedom to customize the size. In this case you will need to FORCE yourself to adjust it VERY LOOSE for at least a few nights to thoroughly test the idea of the LOOSE mask.

This thing works well (for me) even when VERY LOOSE
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,265 9 hours ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 52 3,330 Yesterday, 06:43 PM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 162 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,585 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,990 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,605 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.