Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Autoset "puffy"?
ResMed Autoset "puffy"?
Dreamstation is my primary machine at home but I keep a ResMed Autoset at a lake house.  When I use the ResMed it seems to send frequent little "puffs"...like uneven jumpy pressure.  I never sense this with the Dreamstation.  Typical/normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Autoset "puffy"?
search the forum for FOT pulses. as I recall, member Reznik posted not too long ago about this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is that post thread by Reznik.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ght=Pulses
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done OpalRose.

I have never had this happen to me on my back-up machine, (which is one of these), but that means nothing, by the time I get to sleep using this machine a heard of charging Elephants wouldn't waken me!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the link.  I read through the 6 pages regarding ResMed FOT and I am experiencing something different.  The puffs are occurring prior to going to sleep and, therefore, keeping me from going to sleep.  The FOT link seems to be about the puffs causing arrousal which I do not have.  This is a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.  I have ramp and EPR turned off.  Interestingly I also have a AirMini that I use for travel and do not feel these puffs prior to going to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure what I experience is different but have been preparing to post about this...

When I am awake, I have "puffs" of pressure escape into my mouth for a second or two (using a nasal mask). I am dieting and losing weight and my Doc lowered me from 10 to 8 and it stopped but is starting again -10 lbs later.

Is this the same or different from what you experience?
Post Reply Post Reply
mcguirejohnr, in post #5 you describe a difference in how whatever-it-is is experienced compared to the other person in the other thread. it makes it difficult for you to fall asleep while the thread you read seemed to be about it causing arousals after sleep onset. isn't it possible the 'puffs' are the same but different people experience them differently? it keeps you from falling asleep but once asleep you don't notice it while someone else may or may not notice it while falling asleep but suffers not from noticeable awakenings but from disturbed sleep? IDK if FOT pulses are your problem but experiencing it differently doesn't necessarily mean the cause is different.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 01:19 PM)lngtrm1 Wrote: I'm pretty sure what I experience is different but have been preparing to post about this...

When I am awake, I have "puffs" of pressure escape into my mouth for a second or two (using a nasal mask). I am dieting and losing weight and my Doc lowered me from 10 to 8 and it stopped but is starting again -10 lbs later.

Your experience sounds closer to mine although I use a full face mask (F&P Simplus on Dreamstation and ResMed F30 Touch on the ResMed...but I often swith them up every couple of months).  Your experience would probalby be like mine if using a nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 01:40 PM)sheepless Wrote: mcguirejohnr, in post #5 you describe a difference in how whatever-it-is is experienced compared to the other person in the other thread.  it makes it difficult for you to fall asleep while the thread you read seemed to be about it causing arousals after sleep onset.  isn't it possible the 'puffs' are the same but different people experience them differently?  it keeps you from falling asleep but once asleep you don't notice it while someone else may or may not notice it while falling asleep but suffers not from noticeable awakenings but from disturbed sleep?  IDK if FOT pulses are your problem but experiencing it differently doesn't necessarily mean the cause is different.

I guess after reading though the long thread it appeared as though folks were saying the FOT pulses were only sent when a CA was detected (implying during sleep) and I did not think that would be the case prior to falling asleep.  Hopeful that there is some setting tweak available that could lessen the "prior to sleep" puffs.  Next time I use taht machine I will grab the data from the SD Card and see if there are any hints in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 01:53 PM)mcguirejohnr Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 01:19 PM)lngtrm1 Wrote: I'm pretty sure what I experience is different but have been preparing to post about this...

Your experience sounds closer to mine although I use a full face mask (F&P Simplus on Dreamstation and ResMed F30 Touch on the ResMed...but I often swith them up every couple of months).  Your experience would probalby be like mine if using a nasal mask.

My Dr, who was new (I moved), thought the pressure reduction was the answer to what I was describing and it worked. But the background to this seems different. My nasal mask sends air to my lungs without it escaping out of my mouth with it open and my tongue out.  Dont-know But as I lose weight it seems to be escaping more in little bursts regardless if my mouth is open or not.

My Dr thought that I had a high chance of going CPAP-less if I lost enough weight and my ability to close off the path from nose to mouth could also be contributing to the Apnea.

I've never really understood the issue nor do I feel the Drs really understand it...but clearly I was born to swim underwater  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,569 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
Question [Equipment] What Is Autoset (ResMed) 10 and Can It Be Disabled? Rickyricardo 2 91 04-18-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 152 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 221 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 609 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 283 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,311 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.