Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Quiet Elbow
ResMed Quiet Elbow
I know there's been a lot of talk about them for various reasons. I've been using one since having started SA Therapy. I can say that I haven't had any issues with one.......until last night. 

I got geared up for bed as usual last night. I'm using a ResMed AirFit F30 FFM. Been doing so now for a good while. Fell asleep with no problem. Was woken up a few times with air escaping from what I thought was my mask. I reached up and readjusted it here & there and fell back to sleep. 

Again, woke up later with air escaping. Once again, I readjusted my mask. This time though, I thought that maybe the hose elbow was leaking for whatever reason. Made sure the the elbow was facing up and not down. The elbow and hose works best for me when it's running up from my face and not down. 

This was about 4 am or so. I had to get up to use the bathroom anyways, so I called it good enough and left my mask in the bathroom and went back to bed. In my mind, I thought the quiet elbow was leaking. No problem, as I had spares on hand. 

Once up this morning, I took a good close look at the hose elbow and it appeared to be fine. No cracks, nothing coming loose, or whatever. Checked my mask out good as well, and it appears to be fine. 

Anyways, I'm giving all a good soaking in hot water and some Dawn dish soap. That always snugs up the elastic straps, making for a more secure fit. The cushion felt tight to the mask before I took it apart. 

I did a pressure test on the elbow by blowing into one end and plugging up the other end with my thumb. I then reversed ends and did the same. It allowed air to escape as designed. The other way, it was air tight. 

So, I'm at a loss as to why it was leaking air last night. This is a 1st for me in regards to this particular issue. I can't say for sure as to what generation of quiet elbow I am currently using, or the ones I have as spares. I assume that they are the later ones. 

Anyways, just thought I'd pass this along and see if anyone has any ideas as to why I was experiencing the air leaks? Life goes on...........as well as my CPAP therapy.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Quiet Elbow
Hi Big Guy

I have tried using the Quiet Elbow with the filter material removed and had large leaks register during high mask pressures. I tried to locate leaks but came to the conclusion that I was getting very high flows through the vent holes. I find that mask leaking around the cushion is very sensitive to the vertical position of the mask  but this didnt seem to be the reason for the above high leaks. I currently use the old design elbow.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Quiet Elbow
One good thing about washing my mask / cushion, is that it (silicone) returns to it's somewhat tacky feeling. Between washes, even though I use an antibiotic wipe on it, it still feels slick to the touch. I'm not all that convinced that the wipes remove all the facial oils better than hot water and dish soap does. 

That tacky feeling seals much better on my skin.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 345 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 12 5,538 10-29-2023, 05:48 AM
Last Post: yankees123
  Need help with F20 Airfit leaks (elbow?) jaytee80 4 1,269 09-22-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Question Popping noise from Resmed elbow Proth 1 664 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 32 12,500 07-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: snorin2
  Is there a quiet portable CPAP machine? mcman56 0 461 07-18-2023, 10:02 PM
Last Post: mcman56
  All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only. HMG7450 17 2,445 05-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.