Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed and new emails....
RE: ResMed and new emails....
(05-20-2020, 04:47 PM)Aludj Wrote: . . .

While I have nothing to hide, I don't like that my treatment data uploaded to a server and go everywhere. The companies collecting any type of data is always for sale, or at the very least traded by data brokers; we live in a surveillance capitalism where every aspects of our life is a product, even if we pay for the actual product. Singling out a company is useless since all of them do the same.

Hi Aludj,
I agree with your position on the collection and disposition of our treatment data.

I just recently upgraded from a Resmed S9 Autoset to a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, and was told by the DME to sign up for MyAir.  As the new machine is being provided thru Medicare and Insurance, the DME will be monitoring compliance for the 13-month rental period.  After that, I am told I will own the machine, and I will cut off  the link to Resmed.  I really don't like that Resmed built the cellular modem into the machines, and provided nothing but Airplane Mode to disable it - this is poor behavior on their part.

I had been receiving emails from MyAir, as you described, mostly the Rah-Rah, you're doing great stuff, so I logged into MyAir, and turned off all the notification I could find.  We'll see if they really stop or not.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2020, 06:09 PM)StevesSp Wrote: I'm assuming that the machines fitted with a SIM card wold have to be set-up in some way before they can communicate with the mother ship? Until then, how would the machine know HOW to connect? Which network and provider would it use? How would it know what your email address is?

I signed up with the MyAir site. It's kind of helpful and I can check my progress when I want. My machine has been paid for in full for a while now. 

But, my sleep doc still wants to see how I'm doing when I have an appointment with him. He can access that information remotely. No need for me to take my SIM card in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never see a SIM card on a Resmed machine, but they do have a SD card. The modem is inside the machine cover and it is not hard to disconnect the small 4-lead ribbon cable left of the center of the display. Lift the connector straight up and it is permanently disconnected.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2020, 06:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have never see a SIM card on a Resmed machine, but they do have a SD card.  The modem is inside the machine cover and it is not hard to disconnect the small 4-lead ribbon cable left of the center of the display.  Lift the connector straight up and it is permanently disconnected.

My bad! It's probably just an SD card. When it comes to computers, I know just enough about um to get me into trouble, but not enough to get me out.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a picture of the Airsense 10 with the outer cover removed.  The wifi connector is the small square with 4 white wires on the center-left side of the circuit board labeled J302.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=22218]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve never received an email that seemed related to the ResMed modem. Likely you surfed some CPAP related web site.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
@All...

Presumably, the SIM card is set up by the DME supplier at ResMed for suppliers. The activation of the SIM is via CPAP machine's serial number, with little, or no choice for carrier. The cost of the cellular service is paid for by ResMed and/or DME supplier; the service is limited and cost is much lower than for your cellphone. The newer CPAP machines may have software SIM, instead of the physical SIM.

I haven't received any email from ResMed, or the MyAir website since I didn't setup an account yet, unlikely that I will. My DME supplier has the email in question, but you guys are probably right. I did browse a number of CPAP supply websites, albeit only registered at one.

I have a 16GB SD card in my A10 and the modem is in airplane mode. For that matter, most of the time the CPAP machine is powered off anyway, only turn it on at night. I am still debating to disconnect SIM/antenna based on this video to get rid of the annoying warning message:

A10 disassemble

The link is also good for cleaning the inside of the A10.
"Life is dream, awakening is death..."
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
All of the disassembly you need is completed by 4:25 of that video and the side panels do not need to be removed. Just lift up on the 4-wire connector to the modem J302 on the left-center of the circuit board. Very easy to do, and just a matter of removing the front cover and disconnecting the wire.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider...

Correct, that's the easy part....

Maybe I should have asked, can you disconnect the SIM card for rental machines, or it is not advisable?
"Life is dream, awakening is death..."
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
That may change the rules of the ballgame. The insurance may require the data to be accessible wirelessly to continue payments. Not exactly the same but just an example of insurance dictating aspects: to maintain insurance payment of supplies, I had to keep the DME auto phone call reminder on. That was with my last welfare provided Medicaid insurance and not Medicare which is what I'm on as of May 1.

Bottom line is follow insurance demands if the machine is funded by them or they can pull your payment rug out at any time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forum software question - are you getting your thread subscription emails okay? SuperSleeper 4 3,762 05-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.