Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Research/Thoughts on 3d printing MAD device (mouth guard)
RE: Research/Thoughts on 3d printing MAD device (mouth guard)
(08-03-2019, 02:44 AM)crowtor Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 02:59 PM)luckydxx Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 10:44 AM)crowtor Wrote: Narval CC from resmed is 3d printed in polyamide 12, there are 2 other companies that also print it in the sam material but i can't remember their names.

All 3 are made by 3d scanning the teeth directly or the teeth impressions themselves. I used narval, but now I use a custom one which also is printed in polyamide 12.

Hi Crowtor,

thank you for your reply. Are you mild/moderate apnea?

how do you get the custom one made and how do you feel about the usage, can it replace cpap? Also how much the cost estimate is?

thanks again.

Sometimes I'm AHI 9, sometimes AHI 100+. My current one is made like narval cc, same process and it's based on my narval, with some tweaks. I had my teeth scanned and then I modeled it in CAD, adding a few things like a removable tongue retaining bubble, mouth breathing canals combined with a tongue strap at the back.

I wear it with my full face mask though.

If you want to get rid of your cpap, the only thing that's cpable of that is an Inspire2 implant, that is if your apnea is the type of apnea it is intended for and you have no other mechanical issues in your breathing. If you're fully CA, then a diaphragm pacemaker could be an option. Otherwise sit tight and do your vows, cpap is staying.

" I had my teeth scanned and then I modeled it in CAD", could you please let me know how to get hold /what way i can start look into this scanning and custom made process, i just looked up online Naval is discontinue the market in US.

just found out this one, but i can't find a provider in my area (in US). have you heard about it?
https://o2vent.com/about-2/products-2/

My mom has habbit to take sleeping pills, wearing full mask she is not able to adjusted. I am trying to see whether this MAD will help her better. thanks a lot
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Research/Thoughts on 3d printing MAD device (mouth guard)
I tried just about every oral appliance out there, along with various other stuff, sometimes in combination.

My most effective setup was the Z-Quiet MAD, Good Morning Snore Solution, and WoodyKnows Nasal Dilator (the version that looks like a tiny clear pair of snowshoes), all used together. There was good synergy between them. I would insert the nasal dilator to keep my nose open (obviously), then the Z-Quiet, and finally the GMSS (worn between my lips and the Z-Quiet.

For me, tongue advancement was far more effective than mandible advancement, but they both contributed. I even idly contemplated getting my tongue pierced so I would have a better way to hold onto it ....

The Z-Quiet also prevented me from curling my tongue in my sleep, which would allow it to slide right out of the GMSS. The GMSS, in turn, helped to hold the Z-Quiet in place, and also discouraged mouth breathing. Of course, that made the WoodyKnows very helpful. Throw in sleeping on my side, and I could actually wake up feeling pretty good - when I could sleep with all that stuff. My compliance was best when my guests elbowed me ....

When I tried to use just the Z-Quiet or just the GMSS, I usually had to look for them in the morning.

I believe the ability to curl your tongue is genetic. I think the GMSS is much more likely to work for someone who can't. I had the same problem (and several others) with the Aveo.

I did use the GMSS some while getting used to nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,035 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.