Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resetting of blower hours?
Resetting of blower hours?
So a few weeks back I went to my DME to have my respironics unit checked because it failed the "performance check". I was looking over his shoulder when he connected my machine to his laptop and ran a program (I forgot what it was called) to check the error codes of my machine and I could have sworn I saw that there was a option there to reset the blower hours. 

Has anybody else seen or verified this? I thought that the blower hours in cpap machines cannot be tampered with for obvious reasons (but apparently it is?).
hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Repaying my sleep debt, 1 night at a time...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resetting of blower hours?
You can find service manuals in the Private Files and Links Forum (Links to Member only Files.)  
You need to be logged in to your forum account to access.

Apparently, a DME or service center can reset not only user hours, but blower hours.  They aren’t supposed to do this unless replacing the blower, but who is to say they abide by that.  

An unscrupulous DME or service center could do this and sell as new.

An excerpt from the DS Service Manual:

6.3.3 CLEARING THERAPY HOURS AND BLOWER HOURS
• If the PCA is NOT replaced during device servicing, the therapy hours should only be cleared if the device is going to a different patient. Otherwise, the therapy hours should remain on the device.
• If the PCA is NOT replaced during device servicing, the blower hours should be cleared only if the Blower is replaced. Otherwise, the blower hours should remain on the device.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the motor replaced in my Resmed S9 and the blower hours went back to zero, so it's obviously possible.

Actually I was very impressed - it was in to have a faulty humidifier fixed and they replaced the motor without any request from me. The machine was about 4 years 10 months old at the time, with a five year warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you OpalRose and DeepBreathing for your responses and confirming that this is indeed possible. 

I agree that an unscrupulous DME could definitely take advantage of this. Definitely, one thing to keep in mind that when buying a used CPAP.
hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Repaying my sleep debt, 1 night at a time...
Post Reply Post Reply
WOW!!!! I did not know this. I'm so grateful for all of the smart people here!
Post Reply Post Reply
You mean there's an unscrupulous DME out there that might purposefully reset the hour meter? Dont-know

Yep, just like back in the old days of car salesmen rolling back odometers. Yes sir Mr. Jones this may be a 44 year old Pinto, but it's only got 5,000 miles on it. The numbers don't line up, you say? No actually older cars had odometers where those numbers didn't go straight across. It was really hard to make things straight in the 1970's.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where are the Blower Hours in Clinician menu for ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set For Her? 

I only found where to find Run Hours in Manual.
Settings>About>Run Hours

Hope to get machine next week and want to go prepared.

Thanks!

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
Just go into the clinical menu, scroll to the bottom where the About menus is. Click and the Run Hours will be there. Not-resettable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK.  Thanks, Sleeprider!

Sounds easier that ResMed just has un-resettable Run Hours (and no separate Blower Hours).

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed does have re-settable user hours, but run hours are like the odometer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 475 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 278 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 493 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  S9 Blower Motor vk3hjq 105 16,364 01-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Julio Bigtime
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 439 01-20-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.