Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] I think someone isn't happy I bought a used machine. Why should this be difficult.
Sad 
I think someone isn't happy I bought a used machine. Why should this be difficult.
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea with a take home blood ox finger thing, and a heart monitor with a cord to a little box.  It took 3 weeks to get the info from one area of the hospital to the sleep clinic.  Over the phone she told me I had apnea 12 times an hour for light sleep and 36 times an hour for REM sleep with my oxygen level averaging 93, but the low was 86,  It took 2 weeks for the approval from the insurance company to approve me for a machine. and next step was a durable medical goods company - same name as the hospital and insurance plan would call me to make a zoom call to set up appt to talk about equipment.

While I waited I found a machine for 50 dollars, basically brand new.  Hearing the nightmares that people have with durable medical devices, I was pretty stoked that I was going to avoid being price gouged.  I did purchase the same machine that the sleep clinic was going to recommend.   I sent my medical provider this information as well as the serial numbers and pics of my machine.  The Medical device people called me and I told them I didn't need to rent machine but I certainly needed a mask and whatever else maybe a hose Dont-know  and I would need to know what pressure I should set the machine at. (I watched videos and learned how to set it up with the clinician menu) They reluctantly told me i should set for 5-15 on auto.

I sent my sleep clinic provider my machine serial numbers, thinking they needed them to get my sleep info to help me. Telling me that I didn't know what my  next step was. and I got this message below,  It sounds a bit like BS, I did plug in the SD card and since I had made sure to clear the machines memory, it ONLY has my info on the SD card and the OSCAR program read everything just fine.

"Unfortunately getting this transferred over to your name so I can get a download is going to take a few steps. Whoever bought the machine has to call up the manufacturer of the dreamstaion, which I believe is resperonics,  and request her name be removed from the machine and have yours added. Then the next problem is the card in the machine is already her card, so we will need the name on the card changed to. We might even need a new card. I can have you bring the machine and card into the clinic and try and get a download. The problem with that is if the card has the previous users name and data on it, we won't be able to use that card and I'll have to put a new card in the machine. Even with a new card, we could be downloading old data from your friend. You can unfortunately see how much of a pain this is and why most providers don't do this. (provider name) is new and just doesn't know how hard this is. So you can call and try to get added or we can try and bring it in office. Either way getting data isn't guaranteed. I hope this helps. Please call us at xxx-xxxx or email me back if you have any questions.

Should I prepare for a hard sell of a new machine?  Who would i call to "transfer the machine" phillips, or the previous Durable medical equipment co.?  Can I program the modem to call my doctors office, or does it go to Phillips and my DR logs into Phillips. or does the DME office gets the info?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I think someone isn't happy I bought a used machine. Why should this be difficult.
Welcome to Apnea Board. I'd say somebody is a bit upset and confused you dared to buy a machine without them. You've upset the apple cart badly. Since you own the CPAP machine, you only need to have the DME know compliance info to get masks and other supplies through insurance. My own DME is Apria, and for compliance they have an automated call asking if I've used the machine for the last 3 months. If I can say yes truthfully, they send out supplies billed to insurance. I'm not hinting you need Apria BTW. If these guys want to see your data "Here's the usage data from OSCAR" the free reporting tool located at the top.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I think someone isn't happy I bought a used machine. Why should this be difficult.
Technically what was written wasn't a lie, but none of that is of any concern, just get a new sd card and that's it.
Post Reply Post Reply
knix, the SD card on the machine can easily be erased or formatted to FAT32 to delete all prior data. You can also reset user-data in the machine by obtaining the clinician manual for your Dreamstation auto cpap by following the link for CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of this page. With clean data in the machine and SD card, you can get better therapy data than if you register the machine for data downloads. Simply download and install the free OSCAR software. You can read how to organize and attach charts from OSCAR to the forum in my signature links below this post. The Dreammapper software that can be obtained by registering the machine is relatively worthless by comparison...just forget it and move on.

You don't need anyone's assistance for a fee, but if the supplier can provide replacement mask frame, cushions, headgear, tubing and filters at a cost lower than you can on the open market they may be useful. Be careful if you have high deductible or copay insurance that any DME will charge up to 3 times the cost you can find supplies.

Welcome to the forum. You're in good hands.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 282 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Happy Thanksgiving. Big Guy 9 579 11-25-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: FLcracker
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,198 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Symptoms] Difficult to exhale by end of night threerottencats 0 445 08-12-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: threerottencats
  [CPAP] First time user — is it normal that breathing out the nose is difficult? dandebruyner 9 1,233 07-23-2023, 05:23 AM
Last Post: dandebruyner
  New to CPAP - and I bought a NIB machine in the secondary market SaveItTilLater 23 1,811 03-17-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: SaveItTilLater
  Happy Anniversary...well...almost. David Clark 1 435 12-28-2022, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.