Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Aircurve and reras
Resmed Aircurve and reras
My results since switching to the Aircurve Vauto have been excellent. I found out that the Aircuve does not report reras. Does it mean that I don't have reras anymore? If they just don't report them, what would be the logic of it?

Thanks, car54
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Aircurve and reras
I've never had any Resmed machine, autoset or VAuto, report any RERAs for me, despite the fact that two sleep studies reported dozens each time.

So regardless of whether Resmed included the feature or not in the VAuto (I don't actually know), I wouldn't rely on it.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the vauto and it does not flag rera’s.  I guess you have to go through the flow chart to see if any flow limitations end with an arousal.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Vauto does not flag RERA's. I think it's because with a machine as capable as the Vauto there shouldn't be any to flag anyway, IMHO. On the other hand it would be nice to know if they are there from positional events. But I don't think they even consider the position of your head being the cause of events or flow limitations given the fact most sleep doctors and/or techs have no idea why you'd be wearing a soft cervical collar without a neck injury.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
According to my OSCAR statistics My Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset reports RERA's. My RERA index for December was 0.08. Mostly 0 or 1 per night, once there were 3 in a night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Harrywr2, the AirSense AutoSets do, the AirCurves do not.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll expand a bit on my reply for emphasis.

The only way to know for sure if some event is a RERA is to confirm there is in fact an arousal, which the machine cannot. To do that, you need an EEG.

What the machine (the autoset at least) does do is look at the flow rate to infer an arousal.

But again, in my experience, the machines do a poor job with this today.

You can learn do the analysis yourself by looking closely at the flow rate graph, though I don't find it that straightforward.

Or you can do what I do, which is to use a Dreem 2 headband, which has an EEG.

But even that probably misses some arousals, since it's only measuring at 30 second intervals. But I have taken to using it to calculate my "REM Consolidation Index" (minutes REM/number of REM stages) proposed by Barry Krawkow, which should correlate with RERA-induced fragmentation. Krakow has suggested his goal in treating, for example, UARS, is to get that index above 15 or so, which tells him the treatment is effective.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Car54, no machine actually reports an accurate RERA but an inferred one. The signature is increasing flow limitation followed by an arousal as indicated by a much higher respiratory volume or recovery breathing. This is not hard to find in charts with the Vauto if it is present. Search for flow limitations ending in higher breathing rate. Even in the whole-night overview we can usually spot where to look by a spike in breathing preceded by flow limitation. Of course if you don't have flow limitations or they are minor, then RERA just won't be present, and that was the idea behind using the Vauto.

Here is what you're looking for from this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid326483

[Image: attachment.php?aid=18502]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,488 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,329 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.