Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed CPAP won't let me fix the time & date. Says can't go into the past.
RE: Resmed CPAP won't let me fix the time & date. Says can't go into the past.
Are you using the correct format for the date setting? ( though I don't know what is the correct format for that machine )

dd/mm/yyyy

yyyy/mm/dd

mm/dd/yyyy 

Or whatever possible combination it may be..
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Darkmatter,

welcome to the forum.

I spent a lot of time figuring all this out when my machine was new.  I actually was able to reset my date/time by avoiding stepping on hours in which data was already recorded.  

I ended up after much fuss deciding that it is worth it to reset the clock one time to match your time zone.

I also concluded that if your sleep hours are not close to the noon hour, then there is no need to pull your hair out trying to adjust for daylight savings time twice a year.  It doesn't really matter, it doesn't add to the quality of the data you collect, nor impact how you interpret sleepyhead charts.  So I don't change my clock now going on the three years and I would be just as happy to get the hours back that I spent fretting about this the first year.

* note that it's not the CPAP machine that is grouping sessions into days, but rather it is the software you are using to review the data. The machine records sessions with the session data time stamped based on the machine clock.  There is no concept of data grouped by days on your machine or on the SD card AFAIK. Just discrete sessions containing data. When you upload and read the data into software like ResScan or Sleepyhead it is the software that organizes the session data into days for analysis. 

* The reason I mention sleep crossing the noon hour is that the software typically counts days beginning at noon and ending 11:59:59 AM the next day.  This is a convenient span of day that captures sleep hours for most people within the same logical day. If your sleeping time crosses the noon hour then you might find the phenomenon where you slept 5.5 hours and see it logged as 4 hours one day and 1.5 hours the next day.

* If you are seeing this sort of thing in your data, I believe there is a setting in Sleepyhead that you can adjust to define your sleep day to be other than noon to noon. Don't recall whether ResScan has a way to set the day boundary or not. 

If you feel like you must reset the clock, here are some things to know that might be helpful with resetting the clock on your machine... 

* The machine will protect itself against anyone rewriting history.  That's paramount for compliance.  

* This manifests itself at two levels:

1. At the date level you cannot reset back to a date that already has data recorded in it.  

2. At the hour level you cannot reset back to an hour that already has data recorded in it.  

* that explains why you could move the clock back 50 minutes at a time but it would not move the clock back an entire day.  

* if I recall correctly, I was able to roll back the clock several hours at a time by working with hours the machine was not running. 

* I don't recall if I was ever able to roll back an entire day in one step. I know I was not willing to skip a night of precious air in order to make a down day just to set the clock. 

* So you should also be able to roll back several hours at a time once you have been up for several hours in which no data was recorded (i.e. you didn't have the machine turned on because you weren't sleeping and so no data was recorded during those hours). 

* Do this a few times in a row and you can effectively stall your CPAP clock a few hours at a time until the real date passes the machine clock date. Just gotta do it a few hours at a time.  

* Or you could choose to take a day off from therapy so you have an entire day in which no data was recorded, then you could set the date to that date. 

hope this helps to explain the behavior you have observed when trying to change the clock on your machine. 

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2018, 05:30 PM)Darkmatter Wrote: If formatting the SD card would let me set the right time why would it not let me when I removed the SD card after unplugging the CPAP? Does anyone know for sure if you can dump the info onto a PC, format it with Resmed's format function on the CPAP, and then put the data back on the SD card? Also, is there 1 particular file that I do NOT want to copy back to the CPAP, such as a file thats only purpose is to log the time or something like that.

Thanks.

I think the answer to the first question is:  there is machine memory besides the SD card.  The CPAP machine will store summary level data in its machine memory, and will capture detailed session data on the SD card.  If you ever forget to replace your SD card and use the machine for a few days, you will find that when you do insert the SD card the machine will write the summary data for the intervening days from its memory onto the SD card.  For those days in Sleepyhead you will be able to see the summary data but will not be able to see all the detailed graph data.  So this is evidence that the machine is recording usage data without the SD card inserted, and that would prevent you from resetting the clock in a manner that would overwrite previously logged data in machine memory even if there was no SD card inserted. 

Can you restore data to a newly formatted SD card?  I believe the answer is yes.  There is a structured set of folders and files on the SD card which you should be able to replicate. How to do that -- I have never had a need to go figure it out.   Your deeper level question would also require more knowledge of the SD file storage format than I have ever dug into. 

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2018, 08:52 AM)gwc2795 Wrote: To change the date backwards you have to reformat the SD card.
Negative.

You can set the time back to no earlier than noon of the current day.

My machine somehow ended up getting set a full day ahead.
It took me 4 or 5 nights to correct it setting it back 6 hours at a time.

My charts were seriously messed up, with it looking like I was sleeping most of the day with very little wake time, but it was all there.

Scheduling the back-setting is a challenge though....  for my case, I needed to back up 25 hours:

Night 1 - Went to bed at 9pm, set clock back to 1pm
Night 2 - At 9pm, of course the machine was still at 1 so I couldn't set it back any further....  I stayed up until midnight (it was Friday), and set it back again to 1pm.
So basically, my set back to 1pm Thursday night was wasted... I could have just set it back from midnight to 1pm on the first night.
Day 3 - Machine was now reading 8pm at 7am.  I didn't want to overwrite data, so waited until the machine read 11pm at 10am (I didn't want to let the date rollover), and set it back to 8pm.
Day 4 - Same thing...  7am machine was then reading 5pm.  This time, I was able to wait until 1pm, and again set the machine back, this time 5 hours to 6pm.

It's been a while, but I think that was the basic plan...   I'm pretty sure I did it in 3 days and not 4...   I may have set it back a 2nd time in the evening after the date rolled, not sure.

But it absolutely is possible to set it back without reformatting or dropping any data. 
You just have to avoid trying to set back before 1pm on the current date, and avoid setting back to a time that will result in overwriting any data.
If you don't care about overwriting, then you could probably do a full 24 hours in 2 days (I'm not sure if it will allow you to overwrite).
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding the date structure, yes it is quite clear.

For setting the time back, for some reason after a while it would only let me roll back the minutes, not the hours or days, so I would have had to stay up all night to get the time adjusted. In the end I had to take it to my sleep therapist. That is where a new issue has come up. Sad

The sleep therapist that sold me the CPAP asked me to bring the machine back in yesterday and without even warning me first he used the "erase all data" option to reset the date. Now all my past data on the memory card is gone and because of this Resmed closed my "My Air" account. I tried running a file and partition recovery program but the folder structure wasn't properly recovered. I wanted this data to put into Sleepyhead.

In Canada, (and probably the US)  a patient has the right to ask for a copy of any of his medical information. Tests, x-rays, reports, etc. The request can't be refused unless there is a concern that seeing what is in the record could cause the patient to either harm himself or others. Since the company still has a copy of the telemetry I wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on my right to request (and if you think they can legally refuse) a copy of the telemetry data, which is medical information so it should be covered by current law.

Barring that, could someone post a couple screenshots of the file and folder structure of what is on the memory card. I think I recovered all the actual files, they're just not in the right order. I didn't notice any personal information in the actual file names but if there is it can/should of course be blurred out.

Thanks for any opinions on the first matter and any help on the second.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 06:34 AM)Darkmatter Wrote: Barring that, could someone post a couple screenshots of the file and folder structure of what is on the memory card. I

Please post the model of the Resmed you are using, e:g,: S9 Elite, S9 Autoset, A10 Autoset, A10 Elite, etc. Also, please update your profile with this as well. We use your profile information to determine our responses.

Thank you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 06:34 AM)Darkmatter Wrote: In Canada, (and probably the US)  a patient has the right to ask for a copy of any of his medical information. Tests, x-rays, reports, etc. The request can't be refused unless there is a concern that seeing what is in the record could cause the patient to either harm himself or others. Since the company still has a copy of the telemetry I wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on my right to request (and if you think they can legally refuse) a copy of the telemetry data, which is medical information so it should be covered by current law.

Unfortunately in this case it wouldn't help, because the machine doesn't send the full data over the cellular connection each day; it only sends the compliance data that the DME needs so it can tell the insurance company that the machine is being used according to plan. The complete set of data is only on the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
CB9: Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately I never though of leaving it unplugged because I was afraid of losing another hour. Even though I wake up at about 8am every morning and don't nap during the day, it still would only let me go back 59 minutes max. Unplugging might have worked, or the machine may have written something to the card, like the time and day the machine got power back. Also I think my machine must record something like, "not in use" because even without using it I couldn't go back to 12:01pm.

As for the machine grouping at least some of the data by date, I know that it does this because my recovery program did manage to get back 2 real folders and they were named 20180506 and 20180507. Unfortunately those were the only folders recovered. I did get a LOT of small files with odd extension names though. Smile

Crimson:

I just looked. It is a Resmed AirSense 10 [Elite]. I'll add that to my profile now.

Thanks.

Fats:

Well I think I got all the files, just not the folder names and structure that goes with it. I do know that it uses all numbers that equal the date, eg 20180509 would be today's data. Also I'm almost positive since I learned a lot about medical stuff from my mom being an RN and me being a very inquisitive person, that up here in Canada privacy laws don't allow insurance companies access to your data. The one responsible for reporting that you may be to fatigued to drive is your doctor and not many do it unless there is clear evidence of "impairment" due to lack of quality sleep over a long duration.

I would be surprised if my therapist didn't get a lot of data for two reasons. One, he's told me when I've been asleep using the CPAP and when I've been awake and up and for how long in the middle of the night. He was also able to see my apnea events and if I had a night of high air leakage.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 10:09 AM)Darkmatter Wrote: I would be surprised if my therapist didn't get a lot of data for two reasons. One, he's told me when I've been asleep using the CPAP and when I've been awake and up and for how long in the middle of the night. He was also able to see my apnea events and if I had a night of high air leakage.

To clarify: First, anyone to whom you give the SD card, or the files copied from it, obviously has all of the data, not just the compliance data. Second, what gets transmitted over the cellular modem to the DME once every 24 hours (which happens an hour after the session ends) is not everything; it's only the compliance data. That's all I was talking about.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 12:16 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: Second, what gets transmitted over the cellular modem to the DME once every 24 hours (which happens an hour after the session ends) is not everything; it's only the compliance data.  

I think there's more than that transmitted. Compliance data is just hours used, but AHI, one leak statistic, and number of sessions is also transmitted. But of course all of the detailed data is not transmitted.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 29 533 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 217 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,457 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 628 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 246 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,208 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.