Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Climateline tubing smell
RE: Resmed Climateline tubing smell
I may try to start a new trend. I'll be considering soaking my heated hose in coffee before use. I'll report back how much sleep I miss due to that action. Smile

Dreaming

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 2 climate line tubes I have used have not had any smell.

However there seems to be some who have not been lucky. It would be interesting to discover who else have had bad odour from their CL hoses.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I said in my other post mine smelt of new plastic I like that smell so was not bothered by it
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with a DreamStation. No smell in that tube, besides the new smell that all of my CPAP supplies have.

I got a ResMed for backup, and its hose smells terrible. I washed it, and let it air out for several days. I eventually did use it, and after a couple uses it has gone away. But I do totally agree that it's gross and can't be healthy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using a new AirSense 10 for a week now. Prior to that I had a 2 week trial on a F&P SleepStyle. They both had some new plastic smell to them, but yes the ResMed was stronger. I didn't worry about it, and I just notice it on the first couple of breaths. Some suggestions to try and reduce the smell:

Vinegar, but it leaves a smell too. You may want to follow the vinegar with a fairly strong solution of baking soda, and let is soak for a while. If you can find activated carbon which is used in water filtering, a strong slurry of it, and letting it soak for a while might help. I used to store our RV with a potable water type of antifreeze, and it leaves a poor taste in the water. I used bleach followed by baking soda on it and it seemed to help. RV places sell a magic solution that is supposed to deodorize after RV antifreeze is used, but I haven't tried that. Might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have used ClimateLine hoses for two years and never had a problem with the odor you are describing. I am getting a little older and maybe my sense of smell is going down hill like the rest of my body. However if after washing your new hose and the odor you are picking up continues try one more time with a new hose and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2018, 05:04 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I may try to start a new trend. I'll be considering soaking my heated hose in coffee before use. I'll report back how much sleep I miss due to that action. Smile

Dreaming

lots-o-coffee
Laugh-a-lot
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently switched from the standard hose to the Resmed heated hose. I noticed no unpleasant odor.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2018, 01:30 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 05:04 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I may try to start a new trend. I'll be considering soaking my heated hose in coffee before use. I'll report back how much sleep I miss due to that action. Smile

Dreaming

lots-o-coffee
Laugh-a-lot

So far, no negative effect on sleeping.

On the smell issue, it could be chalked up to my lack of sense of smell, as in I can detect stronger odors, but slight hints of such are missed. It seems to me that being a former cigarette smoker may have hampered my sense of smell IMO.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
(09-19-2016, 01:54 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Most new equipment, including non-heated hoses have some odor of the new plastics.  It goes away in a few days and can be reduced by rinsing it first.  I have had a couple Climateline hoses and they don't bother me.  No leukemia or lung cancer yet I'm glad to say.  You might be considered over-sensitive, or hysterical if you don't tone down your complaint from "my life is in imminent danger", to I'm uncomfortable with the smell.   Good luck.

Thinking-about The smell from the ClimateLineAir11 is NOT a "new" plastic smell.  I have been using CPAP for 10 years.  And I am familiar with the "new" plastic smell that goes away in a few hours of use with new hoses.  This smell in the ClimateLineAir11 is TOXIC, actually smells like BURNED plastic, and is probably dangerous that deserves investigation by Resmed.  There may be an issue with the heating element rather than just the plastic.  I have stopped using the ClimateLineAir11 and have reverted to the unheated 10 foot plastic hose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  drying out tubing with machine sleepingbetterinFl 4 254 04-20-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 288 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 27,265 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,956 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,518 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 666 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 407 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.