Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask
Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask
    Returning to CPAP using a Resmed Airfit P30I pillow mask on an Airsense10 for her.  Unable to get beyond 1.5 hours before Cheeks puffing and air leaking from my mouth.  If mask left on this leads to aerophagia.

Tried reducing high pressure using a range of 7 low and high graduating from 8 thru 9 but still have problem.

Interested if others have had this problem and any solutions found.

Thanks

Sleepyhead screen shot attached
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask
If you can't manage your leaks use an FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your advice.  Last night I wore the mask for 3h 12min  which was a record for me.  I decreased the high pressure by 1/2 psi to 8.4 and that small adjustment seems to work.  You can see there were two periods of large leaks which are signs I was opening my mouth.

I've tried various FFM in the past but during my last visit to the Dr he advised using the pillow masks.  I know that  I am a side sleeper and a mouth breather and understand the FFM should be the solution.  I see the Dr on September 22 so will discuss FFM option with him.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm following a similar path. I'm claustrophobic and have never had success trying full face masks.

I've used ResMed N20 and a strap or cpap cap for quite a while. I sometimes use a cervical collar. I've tried taping my lips too. That's what works best for me. (I've had a cut on the top of my nose that didn't heal--constant scab. It's from the N20masks....)

I've tried to simplify things trying different FFMasks. The only two that have lasted the night were a ResMed F30i and a Fisher&Pakel Elora Full. I bought the Elora Full. It's extremely comfortable, but leaks were bad. My take----it's made better than the Respironics FFMs I've tried.

I've tried the P30i, purchased it. It hurt! I'm currently using an n30i, but leaks are awful.

I've modified both the N30i and P30i with a Respironics piece. It attaches to the headgear, and drops the cloth lower on the back of my skull. That's a wonderful help for me. Bought this from amazon.

After awful leaks for the last week or so using the P30i, last night I went back to my "new" N20 putting my Knightsbridge Dual Band cap on over it. I haven't had time to run OSCAR to see how I did. I feel more rested today. Here's hoping...after all, it's only "feeling better that matters" (The cut on my nose has finally healed! No scab!)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL

Enjoyed your response.  We have similar challenges with CPAP.   I have noticed that my nose is sore after using the P30i.  Last night I reached 3h 45m so slowly improving.  I'm finding if my top of range is 8.4 psi I can mange using the pillow mask without getting aerophagia.  Unfortunately at such a low pressure I don't think the flow rate is managed very well.  (flat tops)  It's also shows up in the Flow Limits.

I tried the N20 (when you could loan one for a week) but didn't buy one.  I see they have F30i which might work.  I was wondering if the F30i and P30i headgear is compatible.  Interested to know what Respironics piece you purchased.

Regards
Roy
Post Reply Post Reply
Roy 289,
     I've just started using the P30i 3 nights ago and have some fitting suggestions.  I discovered that the top air hose rides further back on my head, than what they display on the mannequin heads.  That means that the neoprene band rides lower and almost to the base of my skull.  The neoprene needed some velcro tab tightening, and since it stretches, when it's new, I tightened it a bit more last night.  That took care of my nose irritation, because slipping headgear, was the source of the irritation.  Now, OSCAR shows that  the leak rate is virtually zero for all 3 nights.

Have you tried turning off the Ramp, Smart-Start, Smart-Stop, and EPR?  I had to turn them off to get a comfortable breath of air.  The DME doesn't listen to me, and turns all of those on when I receive a new machine.  They think that they know better. 

I'm not a mouth breather, so can only echo the other folks suggestions of chinstrap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Roy!
I have the N30i and the P30i. And N20.
I bought the back-of-head Philips Respironics velcro strap from A...on dot ca. It works well for me. I've even tryied both staps--that Respironics one and hte ResMed vecro starp. Put them on at the same time. It's a fight to get the second Resmed strap on. It's a fight and a half to get it off!

So I've used the the N30i mask with the Philips respironic strap. That works so-so for me.

And I'm using my Knightsbridge Dual Band cap too.... I have to put the KDB cap on, then the N30i mask. Then my home made cervical collar. Leakage was pretty heavy. Maybe when I rolled over onto my right shoulder....

So I got fed up with all that; watched some videos. Made three changes.
1. Talked to Larry; bought a new KDB cap that hasn't arrived yet. It's expensive! I've had buyer's remorse ever since.
2. Using my n20 again. The sore on the top of my nose has healed. It's from the N20 hose connection...Finger's crossed!
3. A video suggestion: use cpap not apap. I'm using cpap setting on my S10 *for her* machine.

My AHI is better. I'm feeling a little better; I'm not getting enough sleep. So any improvement is a real help.

DaveL

(I used a Respironics Dreamwear for a long time. Thought, "what the heck" and bought the P30i. So far it's money wasted for me)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL

The last few days I've used an APAP pressure range of 7 to 8.4 cmw.  This allows me to wear the mask for 6 to 7 hours with AHI below 4.  I also found that loosening the straps took the pressure of my nose.  This change didn't affect the leakage as I think the pillows are designed to inflate a little if given enough space.

Every night I get up after around 4 hours but from prostrate issues not CPAP.

I did try to use CPAP mode at 10cmw  but found this still caused aerophagia.  Perhaps it would work at a lower pressure.

I'm still getting CA's but believe most if not all are considered "junk" from positional changes as I move around during sleep.

My Flow Rate appears flat topped but Flow Limit med is 0.14 with a peak of .40.  Also get a few RERA, Hypopnea and OA events (0.43)

I'll look into the KDB cap as haven't heard of this product.  I tried a cervical collar but really dislike the constriction.

Slowly getting back into the routine!

Thanks for your comments
Post Reply Post Reply
Roy - I notice your flow limits are high. It appears you are on EPR=2. Because EPR is an important tool in fighting hypopnea, I suggest increasing it to 3. After a week, check your flow limits again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Firstnoele

Thanks for info on strap positioning.  I don't use the RAMP feature but currently have EPR=2 and have always used the SMART Start/Stop feature which works for me.

My AHI is below 5 so "managed" but believe on this forum 2 to 3 is considered "managed".  I see my Dr on Sept 22 so will discuss if a FFM is more suitable for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 23 442 4 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,571 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.