Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed imposes "floor" pricing on Canadian Online suppliers
RE: Resmed imposes "floor" pricing on Canadian Online suppliers
It looks like Resmed's predatory price-fixing shenanigans are paying off on Wall Street, where after beating even analysts' earnings predictions their stock popped as Friday's biggest gainer.

https://money.cnn.com/data/markets/

There are a lot of folks on this forum from whose pockets those profits were siphoned.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2019, 01:25 AM)Sheepish Wrote: It looks like Resmed's predatory price-fixing shenanigans are paying off on Wall Street, where after beating even analysts' earnings predictions their stock popped as Friday's biggest gainer.

https://money.cnn.com/data/markets/

There are a lot of folks on this forum from whose pockets those profits were siphoned.

ResMed is now into the second quarter of 2020 and had outstanding results. Not content to grow organically, the company is growing by acquisition and has acquired a number of companies. For those wishing to follow the company more closely, you may consider periodically checking their investor relations site at https://investors.resmed.com/investor-relations/

I have always considered that since 1990, the upcharge was the penalty for being headquartered in California (San Diego) where the business climate is massively unfriendly and the state is trying to figure out new ways to tax you after you are dead.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2019, 07:13 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: HBF in WA offer "up to" $720, with a 15% discount if you buy from one of their pharmacies.

BUPA offer 85% of the cost "up to" $1500, once per two years if you're on the top table, smaller percentages and dollar figures on lower tables.

I couldn't find Medibank's rebate but I recall getting something like $500 back on my ASV about 6 years ago.

I have top Gold hospital cover with Bupa for the last forty years, and I phoned Bupa about seeing if I could get a discount on a CPap machine and they said that was not covered, and Medicare said the same, the only way to get anything is to be a pensioner and to really effected with sleep apnea with a AHI of over 15, where I would have had jump through the Frankston Hospital hoops, which in the end I said bugger that. and went privatly at my cost.
Resmed in an Australian company that is ripping off Australia users, its as simple as that and Greg Hunt the Health Minister allows this and others to rip off privately insured patients
Post Reply Post Reply
AFM1 do you have Extras cover? That's what covers CPAP and a lot of other stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was actually going to buy into Resmed last week before they reported results. Personally, I think many doctors are beginning to recognize sleep apnea more and more. Thus, many more people are being diagnosed along with an increase in DME prices leads to very healthy profits. Resmed is also seen as the leader in home machines...
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2019, 07:11 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: AFM1 do you have Extras cover? That's what covers CPAP and a lot of other stuff.

Well I did the sums and to get the $1200.00 rebate on a Cpap machine, I would have to pay between $25 to $30 per week for the extra Bupa cover, and it was just not worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last time I wanted a machine to use in Ontario Canada I bought a used machine. I was approached by a friend with a brand new machine who chose not to use it. She wanted to sell 2 machines....I bought one and was concerned that she was not receiving treatment.
If I consider buying a new cpap machine with a prescription from my new sleep doc (he would be the vendor) I get the shakes...the price is so high. I asked him: what about autopap??? He said that I could buy one but would not be compensated because I qualify for cpap only....and the machine would be set up as a cpap.

My thoughts right now:
* why do machines cost so much here near Toronto Canada? (They are much cheaper in the US.)
* How do I protect myself if I'm travelling? How can I get a replacement machine in the US for instance, if mine fails or is lost while travelling?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh joy....so the Medical Mafia rears its ugly head again to protect the bottom line rather than help patients get the therapy they need. Gee, thanks ResMed.

Based on the parts, the average CPAP probably only costs $100-150 to produce overseas...so all in, landed in North America, they are likely $200-250 new when they enter the distribution system. With that sort of profit, is it any wonder ResMed (specifically in this case, but all CPAP makers generally) will strong-arm suppliers and DMEs will lie to protect their bottom line? Sheesh...as bad as many of the insurance companies!

*I'll end my rant there*
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,532 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP machine fell on floor luigi28me 6 554 01-14-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Recommendations for national suppliers? HenryBowman 2 391 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 346 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 820 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  best canadian online cpap stores? is cpap outlet legit ? michelbeaini 1 1,192 07-03-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 767 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.