Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics DreamWear under nose cushion
Respironics DreamWear under nose cushion
My wife has just started CPAP therapy. She is having a hard time with the mask. I suggested that she try a nasal pillow but that did not work to her liking. Yesterday she hand an appointment with the DME and he sold her on a DreamWear Under the nose Cushion. She can get that to work for her as long as she is on her back, but when she rolls over on her side she experiences a major leak. Any suggetions?

Cheers, VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics DreamWear under nose cushion
This happened to me, too. Here are a few things that worked for me:

- Bed pillow placement. I tried to bunch my pillow in a way that it wouldn't crowd my face area. Or I would slide my pillow over a bit so if I rolled, my face would hang over the edge of the pillow. Eventually I bought a buckwheat pillow, which I could form into the perfect shape for not intruding on my face.

- Size of Dreamwear cushion. I experimented with the different sizes of cushions, and found a size that shifted on me less than the others. If she got a Fit Pack, it came with the various sizes. Otherwise, I'd mention this leaking to the DME and tell them I 1) want the Fit Pack, or 2) want to take home the various sizes of cushions so I can try them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or try the pillow version of the cussion, dreamwear nasal mask has 2 versions, one a cushion the second a pillow. same headgear only swap under nose parts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Totally agree with Hydrangea.  I have been using the nasal cushion for about 3 weeks now, and I love, love, love it.  The beginning was a little trial and error, but when I got things figured out with the size, positioning, etc. my numbers went down significantly with the DreamWear mask.

First thing I thought was, does she have the right size cushion.  Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover ANY CPAP stuff, so I had to purchase everything on my own. (Machine, masks, supplies)  I found on Amazon you can buy a lot of stuff cheaper than from the DME's though, so it's not too bad.  I got the DreamWare nasal fitpack on Amazon for 40 bucks, and the headgear for 20 bucks.  I played Goldilocks and experimented with ALL the sizes until I figured out which one would be best.  The size chart said small, but was too restricting on my nose, so went with medium, and it works awesome.

Second thing was the pillow.  I use a memory foam pillow, due to herniated disk in my neck.  I noticed that when I rolled over the frame kind of pulled on the cushion slightly and I would get a leak on the opposite side on the cushion.  I made sure to adjust my head when I rolled over so it didn't pull.  Kind of hard to do in your sleep, but I guess my brain got used to doing it, who knows, but I get very few leaks now.  

The last thing I tried was how tight the headgear was.  Also making sure the frame was positioned right in the middle of the top of my head.  I'm bald, so that's easy to do.  LOL.  I tend to pull my headgear a little tight.  Maybe tighter than I need to, but it works.  I don't mind the lines on my face, because if it means I had a good nights sleep, than so be it.  I did have a little septal soreness in the beginning, but that went away after a couple/few days. 

Hope the suggestions help, and good luck to your wife, and hopefully she gets things situated with the mask, because it really is a great mask once you get things ironed out with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had 4 of those masks, then changed.
At first it was ok.
However, when I was stressed I rolled around a lot at night.
Then the mask leaked.
Then I started waking up to see if the mask was leaking.

I modified the headgear to make the mask work better. I removed the back strap from my first worn out mask. I put it on the back of the headgear as a second velcro strap there. That helped stabilize the headgear, even when i moved in my sleep. It wasn't perfect. But it helped.

I eventually stopped using the mask. I had a bump under my nostril that had to be surgically removed. Yup. C. I've worked outside all my life, and somehow that caught up to me.

I use a ResMed N20 now. I've had 3. I use a pillow wedge under my chin to keep my mouth closed because i sometimes mouth breath.

ResMed seems to "copy" Respironics. I believe they have a very similar mask to the dreamwear mask now.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
thank you.  now trying the nasal pillow.  so far I'm trying the medium or small nostril size.  seems the medium is working but i do have some soreness around the side of my nose. I prefer the way it connects to machine and me.  Doesn't seem like as much gear to wear on my face.

I am thinking of going to a Cpap store in Vegas to see if they have anything they recommend.  decided the under nose cushion wasn't working for me due to the head gear and side sleeping. Like I said I kept hearing the air when I slept on my side.  I'm a light sleeper and that's the problem too even though i wear ear plugs. thanks for your comments.  if you have anymore....i'd appreciate it
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2019, 02:01 PM)VegasPier Wrote: thank you.  now trying the nasal pillow.  so far I'm trying the medium or small nostril size.  seems the medium is working but i do have some soreness around the side of my nose. I prefer the way it connects to machine and me.  Doesn't seem like as much gear to wear on my face.

I am thinking of going to a Cpap store in Vegas to see if they have anything they recommend.  decided the under nose cushion wasn't working for me due to the head gear and side sleeping. Like I said I kept hearing the air when I slept on my side.  I'm a light sleeper and that's the problem too even though i wear ear plugs. thanks for your comments.  if you have anymore....i'd appreciate it

The noise is why I ended up switching to a different mask.  I settled on the P10, which worked for me for quite a while.  (But I stopped using the P10 because I suddenly became unable to keep my mouth closed during sleep.  I now believe that's because the vents weren't venting adequately.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I too went with the Phillips Dreamwear nasal mask, I was using the ResMed N20 and really like that mask, however, seems I have developed a sensitivity to the silicone. It took me a few nights to get the headgear adjusted right, there is a fine line between too tight and too loose. The medium cushion fits me well, but the headgear strap keeps slipping up the back of my head and I get a leak so have ordered a large frame to try. I've been using CPAP for about 20 yrs, and just saying that it takes some time and persistence when starting CPAP or anytime I change masks to get comfortable with it, it has worked for me and makes a huge difference in my temperament and how I feel during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had my first night with the Dreamwear Large frame, medium cushion and no problem with the strap slipping up and causing a leak. I got 100% on my ResMed "My Air" app.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks to all of you that responded to my question regarding the difficulty that my wife was experience with the nasal mask. 

Problem has been solved. It was partially my fault as I had given her a nasal mask from my stash. It was a ResMed AirFit P10 which has small to large sizes. I was only vaguely aware of a "Her" model of the P10 system. I thought, if I did any thinking, that a Her model would be the same as my P10 but shaded in pink. As it turns out the Her model has XS, or extra small, size. That is the size that she needs and she has been sleeping very comfortable for the past two nights.

I found the correct nasal mask at The Cpap Store in Las Vegas which was a great find for me. Well stocked and very friendly service. If you need supplies while losing your money on The Srip, this is the place to go. Google it for details. Great store.

Cheers, Ralph
PS. I just noticed that my profile is not correct. I'll be changing it prior to my next log-on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,026 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,802 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 144 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,963 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 167 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.