Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Dreamstation problems
RE: Respironics Dreamstation problems
            My new dreamstation unit smells a bit like new plastic when it has been sitting and first turned on.  That smell, I am told, is "Normal" for new plastic (probably some PBAs or something not so good for us) but considered normal.  After a few weeks of use it should mostly dissipate. 

The BURNING smell however is NOT NORMAL and if it keeps happening it may be, like my Philips System One Respironics 560 unit actually having a meltdown internally.  My 5 year old unit did this to me.  The symptom that Philips has "covered-up" is one where the connectors to the main board actually meltdown and burn up.  Pictures are attached.  It appears that these corrode over time and when the units first are turned on the system tries to turn the humidifier heater pad to its highest setting to heat up the water quickly and that current draw overheats the connectors which can't seem to take the current level after they have oxidized and aged.   The heat in the connector and wire then literally cause a meltdown.  You can get a new harness assembly and replace it yourself if you have the proper tools (screwdriver set with the star head fittings that fit the screws used).  The units are not particularly complicated, nor are they difficult to open and repair.  Out of warranty Philips won't do anything for you.  Without a harness your only other choice if you are handy with a soldering iron is to remove the burnt plug, cut off the two leads that go to the humidifier (obvious ones that were burned) and using some lamp-wire (extension cord wire) solder up the wire directly (after cleaning it up) to the posts the plug used and soldering to the undamaged remainder of the old wire on the harness.  Be sure to properly solder and electrical tape or shrink wrap those connection points well as they will have ~60 watts going through them when the humidifier starts up.   Pictures are attached.
Post Reply Post Reply
Scary and helpful post. Thanks

Makes you want to make sure there's a fresh battery in your bedroom's smoke detector. Nervous
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2017, 09:33 AM)RLSdss Wrote: I had same problem with the clicking. It's coming from the humidifier lid. I got new humidifier and problem solved.

I also had the clicking sound. DME gave me a new humidifier and that solved it. I've never had an odor problem...at least my machine hasn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Phillips Dreamstation is three years old.  Recently the air filters have been showing black residue when I change them.  Is something inside burning up?  Has anyone else had this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
The air from your house is pulling through the filters nothing in the machine will reach the filters, do you have a wood fire or burn candles they are more likely to cause the filters to turn black
Post Reply Post Reply
I had that happen a while back. I did a thorough cleaning of the carpet and furniture in my bedroom. The filter is now only slightly grey after 28 days use. The room cleaning now occurs at least every 28 days along with filter and hose servicing.

Lesson learned.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,078 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,015 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 789 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 678 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.